Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking for a little advice, went on a call were the homeowner said they were getting mini explosion sounds,when furnace was running and when taking a shower .. Owner thought it was the gas line...long story short. Did a pressure test on the gas line held 15lbs all day long, furnace was only 1 yr old. when lighting the water heater noticed a yellow and high flame.(not a good burn at all) myself and my plumber told them that its quite possible the burner is clogged and there not a sufficiant flow of gas for the pilot to light at first till it builds up then boom.I shut down the waterheater and told them thats were they were getting the mini booms. and it needs to be replaced. well they sent me on my way and found out the other day they relit it and say it works fine when running no other app. It bothers me they think its a problem with the main line and not the waterheater. I know times are tough and its quite possible they dont have the money but what bothers me most is they have a 10 month old how should I handel this one .
,I almost want to go buy them one and they can make payments.

Thanks

·
Thom
4,137 Posts
you can't fix the world, nor can you fix a customer. It is your job to be responsible for what you do and say, no more, no less.

Hopefully you noted on your invoice to them that there is a serious problem that needs immediate attention. That's as far as you can go.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,639 Posts
You can't force them to fix it. You shut it down and infomed them of the problem. As soon as you left it was out of your hands.

·
bathroom guru
1,348 Posts
Do you think that this problem could cause an explosion??

Here in Ontario if I had someone come and look at my furnace or hot water heater and their was a serious problem it is there legal duty to turn off the gas to the house and notify the gas company who would only turn the gas back on if the problem is rectified.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Do you think that this problem could cause an explosion??

Here in Ontario if I had someone come and look at my furnace or hot water heater and their was a serious problem it is there legal duty to turn off the gas to the house and notify the gas company who would only turn the gas back on if the problem is rectified.

Very possible. In the UK we would have to turn the gas of and disconnect it from the feed and cap the pipe so that the customer wouldn't easily be able to turn it back on. It sounds like the burner is that clogged that it is only doing a partial burn of the gas and then igniting the unburned gas once the level gets enough to ignite. That alone could cause a massive explosion if conditions were perfect.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies... I understand that it was out of my hands once I left . I did shut off the gas to the w/h and cap it but was debating if I should tell the gas company. although it was noted on the invoice I was wondering if they had a legal leg to come after me if something were to happen

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,639 Posts
As soon as they turned it back on against your best judgement they waive all there rights to hold you harmful.

But I bet a good lawyer could make it stick.

·
Designer/Contractor
5,316 Posts
I think a good lawyer could cause a lot of problems if something happened also, especially in California. I hate the thought of recommending anyone to be a snitch but when it comes to life, health and safety issues it's better to be hated for ratting someone out (and thereby protecting yourself) than to have to worry about something happening not to mention that if something tragic did occur and the little baby got killed or maimed that would be weighing on you also.

·
Registered
82 Posts
woooooooooooooo

wuts awesom is I wont have to go to tmz.com to find out the scoop when these people are blown out dere house onto the sidewalks,

da plae by play is right heAr! :clap: You duh man but u better of called the gas company therwise if they blow up, U is the last oone who touched it :w00t:

get on a praayer chain cuz it is goin to get ugle. :shutup::party:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts