Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Finishing Carpenter
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I posted an ad on CL a few weeks back, a GC wanted some crown put up in a condo in Vancouver. NO problem, we negotiated for a few hours (text) then we met and he gave me the keys.

I went in, did the work yada yada. Hes impressed, says that he wants to throw all his crown work to me (ya!!) that job I charged him $4.30/ft, filled and caulked.

This week he calls, has me measure out another condo in Surrey (another city near by) no problem, I give him the same price $4.30/ft all in roughly 150' 9' ceilings. (just found out last night, I got that one too, start on Tuesday)

In the mean time he's wanting me to measure up (today) a huge crown project, roughly 1000 ft. but he says that I'll have to be significantly under $4.30 a foot on this one. Radius'd corners throughout, some vaulted ceilings, three levels to the house. Basement is unfinished, but the main and upper floor have furniture etc in the way.

I am not sure where to go with this one, it would sure be nice to get this job "but" I do have standing costs and I do want to make a profit! He's said to me that he wants to tack on something to my bid as well, I have no problem with this as I figure that whatever he does with my quote is his business, my only concern is will HE accept my quote.

Am toying with the idea of asking him what price he's thinking of. I don't want to blow this, but then I need to make a bit of a profit as well.

guess I'm just venting this morning! part of the business I guess.

coffee!

Laurie

www.lauriescustomfinishing.ca

·
Registered
497 Posts
Set the stage now for future jobs. Caving to his request for a lower price can set the wrong precedent and let him know he's in control. In reality, your quality should be the reason you are chosen for the job, not the price.

You can upcharge for the harder parts of the job, extra $ for each radius corner, higher ceilings, whatever requires extra effort or skill.

How about charging to move the furniture, cover it, etc? It's only fair to be paid for the extra time and effort it takes to work around furniture.

Are there other negatives to this job? Distance? Equipment set up? Multiple levels? Lugging your ladders through 3 floors?

Then, if you you really want the work and NEED to drop price to make him happy, you can afford a 5%-10% volume discount. At least you are starting from a higher price than your $x.xx per foot.

·
smartazz contractor
81 Posts
If you do discount on this job plan on that being the new standard price.

You may want to say 4.30/ft up 750 lft and 4.20 over that but radius is $x.xx per corner and be sure to state the ceiling height is up to 10 feet or whatever you decide

·
Registered
43 Posts
total agreement

Set the stage now for future jobs. Caving to his request for a lower price can set the wrong precedent and let him know he's in control. In reality, your quality should be the reason you are chosen for the job, not the price.

You can upcharge for the harder parts of the job, extra $ for each radius corner, higher ceilings, whatever requires extra effort or skill.

How about charging to move the furniture, cover it, etc? It's only fair to be paid for the extra time and effort it takes to work around furniture.

Are there other negatives to this job? Distance? Equipment set up? Multiple levels? Lugging your ladders through 3 floors?

Then, if you you really want the work and NEED to drop price to make him happy, you can afford a 5%-10% volume discount. At least you are starting from a higher price than your $x.xx per foot.

sounds almost like he already priced the job and now he needs you to accommodate him or he would not ask you to lower your price if he is a level headed guy just talk to him and see why the is job has changed better to stick to your guns and be professional than loose money

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Only you can figure out how low you can go and not get hurt, if you think this guy is solid, and will generate more future work, back off a few cents, explain to him that you are working close given the quality of work you are delivering. Tell him firmly, "this is my best price" and stick to it--DONT BACK OFF. G

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,834 Posts
For one big job all in one place, you should be able to drop your price a few cents a foot. I'd have no problem with that, as long as he understands that you're doing so because the reduction in shopping/haulage/setup etc allows you to. Assuming, of course, that the complexity of the work is generally equal to the previous jobs.

But it should be very clear that you are doing him a favor with the reduced rate. :thumbsup:

·
Finishing Carpenter
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, so I did the measuring, it was a little over 578'. Multiple radiused corners, one stairwell that goe's up 17', and the master bedroom with vaulted ceilings-part way up there is a little "cubby" and at the back of that the vault goe's up to the peak (a shade over 30 deg)

so I figured it out, and I quoted 3,500. Told the GC that there's no way that I can do it for less, let alone less than 4.30/ft.

He was totally cool with that! he took it to the HO, who informed him that she had someone who could install all this crown in 4 days for $50/hr. ????????????

He told her about how complex this was, and to watch carefully what she buys. I agreed with him, figured that there's probably less than a dozen guy's in our region that could successfully install crown in this project. (In our province if you buy a hammer you are in business - no licencing required, other than a business licence, so the hacks have a free reign)

We figure that about mid November she will call him to come rip it out and re-do it. Who knows?

glad that I stuck to my guns on this one :)

On the way home today got a call from another construction firm, they want a 5k house trimmed out- faxed me 9 pages! uhhhh, what am I gonna do with the site "front elevation" details???
so that's monday- quote on that!!!! playin with the big boys now :) he saw my sign on my truck. Getting lots of calls! folks must be feeling better about the economy.

Laurie

www.lauriescustomfinishing.ca

·
Sawdust Sweeper
690 Posts
Glad to hear that situation worked itself out and that you are staying busy!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts