Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 192 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive been trying to hire a new part time plumbers helper now for 6 weeks

i post the ad on craigs list 1-2x a week to keep it at the top of the list

80%+ of the resume's are horrible...most have no previous construction experience....many work for pizza hut or jiffy lube......some are 65+ year old men or young women....i dont see a 65 year old man digging sewers for 8 hours a day or a woman carrying a water heater up the
stairs.

most who interviewed had drunk drivings

the few that are decent dont work out...either the applicant doesnt return the phone call for a interview or they schedule the interview and dont show up....i had a guy hired 2 weeks ago....he stopped returning calls and then didnt show up for his 1st day of work

i am offering $15 an hour and i am considering offering $20 a hour just to get someone.....im not set on previous plumbing experience, but i need someone who can use power tools...

im getting frustrated....my back is mediocre right now...

i had to change my ad from laborer to plumbers helper just to get some resume's......i also shortened the description in case i was scaring people off by listing the duties

any advice on where to find a worker or if $15 an hour isnt enough?

any advice on how to run a ad to get more quality people?

·
water re-locater
7,511 Posts
Huggy didnt you have a 6'5 275 pound guy that showed up in a suit for his interview or am i confusing you with someone else?

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Huggy didnt you have a 6'5 275 pound guy that showed up in a suit for his interview or am i confusing you with someone else?
yep.....wouldnt give me a start date....then stopped returning calls....after 2 weeks he didnt show up

he wasnt perfect, but seemed like a go getter, so i gave him a chance

im frustrated at this point.....if i need to pay more to get a quality applicant then its what i have to do...if i f-up my back and lose customers im out thousands to 100's of thousands, so an extra $5 an hour doesnt seem so bad when your desperate(like me)

when i put too much detail in my ad. i dont get many resume's....when i get rid of most of the details i get resume's, but none are qualified....

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
Around here, you would get some decent applicants for $15. Have you tried looking for a temp agency in your area? You can end up with a long term hire from an agency, just be really clear on their direct hire policy. Most of the time the agency doesn't really add that much to the cost.

I wouldn't have a "no woman" mentality. I've worked with several women who worked harder and with less BS than any of they co-workers. Anything more than 80-100lbs should have 2 people on it anyway.

·
hack of all trades
1,144 Posts
I wish you were in my area! Once things slow down with the "fixer upper" I'm dedicating most of my time to, I'll need to get a steady job ASAP. I'm leaning toward electrical apprenticeship as a long term plan, but plumbing is something that I'm definitely into. Good luck, you'll run into the right person in time

·
Super Moderator
10,707 Posts
Paying more doesn't necessarily get you more. I have been using craigslist for a few years now. It is really hit and miss. I have one guy who has been with me for 6 years that came from there. About 80% of the guys last 2 weeks or less.

I agree with keeping the ad vague. The right guys can read between the lines. Mention that you are looking for an employee and not a sub. Also list any other bennys.

·
water re-locater
7,511 Posts
yep.....wouldnt give me a start date....then stopped returning calls....after 2 weeks he didnt show up

he wasnt perfect, but seemed like a go getter, so i gave him a chance

im frustrated at this point.....if i need to pay more to get a quality applicant then its what i have to do...if i f-up my back and lose customers im out thousands to 100's of thousands, so an extra $5 an hour doesnt seem so bad when your desperate(like me)

when i put too much detail in my ad. i dont get many resume's....when i get rid of most of the details i get resume's, but none are qualified....
That sucks..The suit thing for a plumbers helper seemed a tad strange. My area all the laborers/helpers for any type of construction business are the non english speaking type.(feeling politically correct tonight) Hard working Americans looking to do that kind of work is non existent here. Theyre usually someone elses ex-employee or some other type of drama going on (drugs, drunk, etc.).

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
I always put "mandatory drug test" in the ad. I run them through a temp staffing agency at first anyway so there actually is a drug and background test. So far, all my applicants have had really high scores....:blink: I think that's good....

·
Registered
551 Posts
How qualified do they have to be? Part time is tricky. Unless they are a student, it's tough to get someone with trade knowledge who won't want a full time job.

Why is a DUI on the record a deal breaker?

·
GC/carpenter
44,204 Posts
How qualified do they have to be? Part time is tricky. Unless they are a student, it's tough to get someone with trade knowledge who won't want a full time job.

Why is a DUI on the record a deal breaker?
They usually have a drivers license issue, because they can't get insurance

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Maybe you're having a hard time because you're advertising previous experience and laborer at the same time. If its just a laborer then they shouldn't really need experience. How long does it take to train someone to drill a hole through a stud? Or to make a cut with a sawzall? I never advertise the word laborer, it implies you're never giving them a chance to work their way up. So you'll probably get a lot of trash applicants. Try "plumbers helper, $15 to $18 an hour DOE, will train."

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts
Temp service. Spent 6 months sorting through trash applicants. Went to tradesmen international temp service and hit pay dirt on the 3rd guy. Best part is if the guy sucks in the first 4 hours they don't bill me if I send him back. Also, they cover everything except general liability and auto ins. I'm billed 18.50 each hour he works and they pay him 11. He got sick for a few days so I called my rep and he had another guy there in 2 hours!

Best damn thing I ever did for my sanity.

·
Licensed Gas contractor
708 Posts
Too bad you weren't in my area. I could use a little work right now. A very very slow summer here in the pool biz.

Like WBailey1041 said, look else where for the help. Craigslist isn't the best place to find skilled or clean helpers. You don't have any family or friends that knows someone who is clean and looking for work? What about a local church? They might have someone looking for work.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
huggy,
you are approaching this waaaaaaaay the wrong way.
the job you describe is extremely un-desireable.
part time laborer?
dig ditches in the rain for 8 hours one day---and no work the next day ?

who would you EXPECT wants a job like that ?

what you need to do---- hire a FULL TIME "apprentice"-say 30-50 hours a week. emphasize what he is going to learn and what the pay bumps will be-also mention ditch digging, but stress the career path and the pay bumps with increasing skill and responsibility

and YOU need to stretch yourself a bit beyond you r comfort level and sell and maintain work flow to make it economically feasible

the way you are describing your current set up---- you are expecting a laborer to come in and solve your problem----- but you aren't solving any kind of problem for him. who wants a part time job digging ditches???? what kind of a future is THAT ?

it's been several years---- but when we put ads on craigslist--- they are long ,detailed ads.
we stress the pay rate, EXACTLY the work we do, what the candidate will learn, the pay bumps at the appropriate intervals, the tools REQUIRED at hire, and the tools required at the next pay bumps.

In short make it clear to potential candidates that this is a real job, and a REAL career that they have to EARN a place in your employment......
stephen

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Have you tried asking the local fire house? Here, the guy's work a nice "4-on, 4-off" schedule. Most are always looking for a side gig

1 - 20 of 192 Posts