Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I've been trying to find a way into the industry but there seems to be no support. I'm hoping that someone from the area has some advice for me.

I'm interested in becoming a carpenter, but there seem to be no pre-apprenticeship program offered anywhere. They offer courses for high school kids and support for immigrants with support, but the best advice I got from the employment office was to call random numbers in the phone book and try to get hired. That doesn't work very well when you only have a little experience tile-setting and no vehicle.

So the carpenter's union has a pre-apprenticeship program, but they won't tell anyone when it is, and whoever reads the letter they send announcing the course first gets in, everyone else waits for the next one.

This is really frustrating, I feel like a telemarketer calling these damn places and asking for work. Does anyone from Toronto know of any programs that will train me and hook me up with a placement? I feel like I'm going in circles.

·
Starving Tile Artist
1,216 Posts
Training and placement?

Thats got community college written all over it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Training and Placement

Thanks, I've been looking for weeks and I can't find any such courses at any community college in the province, let alone the city. If they do exist, it must be a secret. There are plenty of programs for aboriginal people, immigrants, and high schoolers, but it's funny how the city fails to support it's locals citizens. All of the courses I have found require me to already have found an employer. Any tips?

·
DavidC
2,550 Posts
Are you currently employed at anything? Would you be willing to start as a laborer to get your foot in the door? Have you checked your equivalent of our unemployment office?

I have found that it is easier to find a job if you have one. A track record of steady employment is a plus when applying anywhere. And you seldom start where you want to be, so get in somewhere at any level and work your way up.

Our unemployment offices offer incentives to companies willing to hire and train the inexperienced, but you have to apply for the program.

Not sure if I'm on the right track with what your looking for.

Good Luck
Dave

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey a_s, i lived in oshawa a number of years ago and they offered a continuing ed course for carpentry. they teach the very basics but you can network through the other students and the teachers are business owners in the gta so they can always give insights and may be able to help you out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts