Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Three attached screencap pics show a.) part of the plan for a ranch-on-slab house, b.) a section through the area in question, and c.) a birds-eye view of the roofscape.

The puzzle is whether to stickframe it or truss it. Location is hill country, TX, with a ground snow load of 5 psf. It is a locale in which a whole lotta roofs get raftered with 2x6s and most all custom house builds get stickframed roofs.

As can be seen, the span for the structural ridges, and I say ridges because of the ceiling frame below roof, is a little over 32 feet.

Now, one who hates all things truss might agree to a compromise, that being a ridge member made by a truss plant, essentially a huge floor truss, if you will, a little over six feet deep x 32+ feet long. Such a member, whether one ply or two, we'll let the truss engineer decide, could then be the bearing for sticked rafters for both roof and ceiling.

As can be seen in the section, a single common truss would be quite long, and if this roof section were trussed, it might be wise to truss it from wall to wall only, have the truss built with the roof overhang on the L side only, and just a large stub heel on the right, with the remaining framing to the R being sticks.

What would you do, if you were the builder? A quick check for a ridge beam says that a 5.25" wide x 18" deep 2.0E Parallam MIGHT handle the top part.

This kitchen-greatroom space is the only part of the plan that deserves a look into the puzzle. The rest is straigtforward, and will be stickframed. Shorter spans, many more opportunities for posts.

Attachments

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
I'm not a fan of how the gables intersect.

I don't hate trusses, but they are just blah to me. Nothing beats stepping back after a long day or stick framing a cut up roof and looking at it for a second.

But for something like that I would just truss it

·
Brownchickenbrowncow
952 Posts
That roof is a trussable no brainer. Any number of the truss companies in my area wouldnt blink at that design. A guy can be pretty suprised what the engineering of what trusses can accomplish once you step away from stick built mentality.

Not trying to be rude, but pretty standard for a truss mfg.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, because of the gable-over thing, there is some doodling. Because of the way we want to insulate it, there will be areas done with overframing atop roof decking.

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
I would definetly truss it. No sense in screwing around with a beam.:no: I would have them put the porch on to if it works. Even with the porch it's not that big of a truss.

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
Roof system could be done in one day ( little exaggeration for effect) on that. Boom truck and a couple guys or a crew with no boom truck.

Just give the truss company your plans when the foundation is done and you should have them by the time your ready.

·
Super Moderator
26,878 Posts
Lampasas Building Components or John Nguyen with Truss Mate. PM for contact info if your interested.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Warren said:
Once you get over a 12/12, it's all pretty much the same. We did a huge 20k house years ago that was all 16/12 pitch. Not sure how many more of these big frames that I have left it me though.
Do you find the big ones end up being more profitable for you?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts