Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My client in Philadelphia has a row house near a very noisy intersection, the house gets cold in the winter, and his kids keep asking questions about the late night moaning noise from next door. He wants to insulate the parameter of the house with 2x4, foam filled.

For some reason, the client believes that structural framing is the way to go. I explained that this will add no value, since "cosmetic" framing is more than sufficient of holding his drywall and containing his insulation. Is there anything to be gained by structural framing inside an existing brick building?

Answers are appreciated.

·
Banned
917 Posts
My client in Philadelphia has a row house near a very noisy intersection, the house gets cold in the winter, and his kids keep asking questions about the late night moaning noise from next door. He wants to insulate the parameter of the house with 2x4, foam filled.

For some reason, the client believes that structural framing is the way to go. I explained that this will add no value, since "cosmetic" framing is more than sufficient of holding his drywall and containing his insulation. Is there anything to be gained by structural framing inside an existing brick building?

Answers are appreciated.
If I was a HO like you I'd just add a couple layers of sheetrock to cut down on noise.

·
Pro
506 Posts

Answers are appreciated.

what's the difference between structural or not in this scenario? frame 2x4 walls inside, provide 1" air gap between block wall & framing and insulate. what's the big deal clarify

·
Pro
506 Posts
The Jacks, Kings, Cripples, etc. would add to my work, also more material. I personally do not see any benefit, do you?
well, it could be argued that when everything is framed tight you'll have fewer settling cracks/nail pops/etc. i've always framed it loose on stone & stick houses, matter of fact most of it gets done in light gauge steel around here.

·
General Contractor
8,192 Posts
Tell your kids to wear earplugs at night until you get some answers how to sound proof at DIY site.:thumbsup:

Answers are appreciated.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
If its not totally absurd, I've stopped arguing / changing the customers mind / too much info from me and just do as they want and take the money. You'd be surprised how easy life gets when you do.

·
Zimmermann
328 Posts
If its not totally absurd, I've stopped arguing / changing the customers mind / too much info from me and just do as they want and take the money. You'd be surprised how easy life gets when you do.
I will definitely take their money while putting in triple bottom and top plates....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.