Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm looking for some recomendations.

We have a project, that I posted some pics a little while back. 6 year old arbor that died a early death, due to rot caused by moisture issues.

Here is my problem. The posts are 8x8 redwood, resawn with router work. The tops were notched down to about 4" square. 4x12 beams sit on the notch and are bolted through the remaining 4" square. On 3 of the 11 posts, that 4x4 was too rotted to keep.

I'm looking for a epoxy, glue, etc. to attach 4x4's back on to the tops of these posts. I used to use resorcinol, but it seems that the "green mafia" doesn't allow it in Ca. anymore.

The beams will still bear on to about 2" of post, but I need something to bolt them to.

My lumber yard suggested TB3, but that seems too simple.

Any idea's?

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
58,542 Posts
West System is a structural epoxy used mostly in boats. Strong stuff. It might not work in this case unless it it painted. The UV will damage the epoxy and weaken it.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
58,542 Posts
I've been looking at West systems. Have you used it before? It appears that you buy the base resin and use hardners and fillers to suit your purpose. Does that sound right?
I've used it plenty. It has many functions. I have used it as a glue, a filler, a hardener, a waterproof coating and a rot replacer.

This is a wetting type epoxy. Which means that it will be absorbed by wood, deeply. Both sides need to be coated and endgrain may need to be coated several times until it stops being absorbed into the woodwork. I usually recomment the 105 resin and the 205 hardener. That way you have a longer pot life. The drying is pretty much overnight anyway.

·
John Hyatt
3,658 Posts
Mark,I have a redwood project that went bad the same way only its like 12 years old Im sure the rot started before then.Lex ann roof with one( that I have found ) place completley rotted away. Of course it has to be the post/beam conection a half lap.

There was one little leak right over the 6x6'' joint Shukie Darn and Poo Poo, see how good Im being!! Anyway the beam has to go but I am thinking a very Craftsmen stile redwood insert for the post Ya Know like takes forever cut with a sharp chisel and an old growth RW duchmen glued in with tightbond 111.

Its next up on the job chart so let me know if you use the epoxe and how it works out. JonMon

1 - 6 of 6 Posts