Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Designer/Contractor
4,792 Posts
We've been to a few out here in San Diego and have also been to one at their production plant in Brea and have always come away happy that we went. They feed you well and go over a lot of important information, what's new, what works best for different situations, why they change certain connectors, etc.

They also have engineers on hand who are happy to go over questions and try and come up with solutions (which they also do via phone and email). They're a giant corporation but so far have stayed connected (no pun intended) with their most important customers, the designer and the builder.

Haven't been to the decks and porches one, been to one on anchor systems another on connectors and another on upcoming changes in both.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I went to one in Fairfax, VA last month and was impressed. It's not a product pitch. Jim Mailey went through the deck framing code requirements thoroughly. He used great example of what happens if you don't do it right. Had video of testing processes. Provided resources to find products that meet code. If Simpson has a product that meets the code he does cite that solution first, but I reiterate that the seminar is not a product pitch. The audience was 60% code officials and architects looking for knowledge and CEU's. The remainder was builders and dealers. The seminar was an eye opener for me and at times quite sobering when you see what can happen when shortcuts are taken and cheaper, non compliant materials are used. I'd say its a worthwhile investment of six hours of your time.

·
Designer/Contractor
4,792 Posts
While you're there, get them to say when if ever it makes sense to put hangers on upside down.
We've done that in the past per the engineer's design, this one engineer who called it out is one of the best ones I've worked with. If I remember the situation correctly it was tying in a 4x12 along an opening in a stairwell and I believe he said he wanted it done that way to help prevent rotation, although it's been a while since that one.

·
Registered
56 Posts
We've done that in the past per the engineer's design, this one engineer who called it out is one of the best ones I've worked with. If I remember the situation correctly it was tying in a 4x12 along an opening in a stairwell and I believe he said he wanted it done that way to help prevent rotation, although it's been a while since that one.

Also can be used in this situation:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
I would definitely go. I see so many connectors used improperly, whether it is location (hurricane ties) or fasteners used. I like to learn about that stuff. Maybe a geek, but I like to know I'm doing things right.

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
You can go just to see what new BS their trying to force into the code books. Seminars never hurt if they're close by and there is food. Usually I just think of them as a good way to meet other contractors who care about their product.

·
GC/carpenter
GC/Carpenter
43,271 Posts
It's funny, I drive by old homes that have virtually no hold downs or Simpson ties and guess what, they are all still on thier foundations just fine, even here in seismic country.

This is what happens when you let the structural company make recommendations to the state. It's all in the name of saftey of course. I can't end without mentioning the campaign contributions from the hardware company to the politicians.

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
I bet you will learn some stuff but I'm willing to bet they do these to get you to buy more of their connections and in the end make them more money.
Isn't that what everything (but government) is all about?
If you have a great product, wouldn't you want to educate people on your product and how they can use it?
And if they use your product to make themselves money that's a good thing?
And you the manufacturer and distributors/retailers also make money in providing customers with these also make a profit?

I sometimes have a difficult time understanding why some people think that people/businesses earning/making money should be looked upon as a bad thing, something shady or crooked or undesirable.
If nobody made money, we'd all still be living in caves using sticks and stones.

·
GC/carpenter
GC/Carpenter
43,271 Posts
Isn't that what everything (but government) is all about?
If you have a great product, wouldn't you want to educate people on your product and how they can use it?
And if they use your product to make themselves money that's a good thing?
And you the manufacturer and distributors/retailers also make money in providing customers with these also make a profit?

I sometimes have a difficult time understanding why some people think that people/businesses earning/making money should be looked upon as a bad thing, something shady or crooked or undesirable.
If nobody made money, we'd all still be living in caves using sticks and stones.
Most of us have no problem with a company making an honest buck, but when they corrupt politicians by sponsoring bills that mandate thier product, it's no longer an honest buck.

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
Most of us have no problem with a company making an honest buck, but when they corrupt politicians by sponsoring bills that mandate thier product, it's no longer an honest buck.
Yup, I doubt anyone would debate that. I've taken and given seminars, but could never be a politician.....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts