Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. Recently installed scissor trusses for an 800 sq. ft. addition. What do you guys recommend for bottom chord support so I won't have any sheetrock joint cracking in the future? Chords are 2x4's and trusses are 24" oc. Thanks for any replies.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Amazing, nobody knows the answer to what would seem like a simple question to an experienced contractor?? What gives? None of you guys have ever installed trusses before? Is there a secret club that I am not part of thus no responses?

·
Registered
246 Posts
ATS said:
Amazing, nobody knows the answer to what would seem like a simple question to an experienced contractor?? What gives? None of you guys have ever installed trusses before? Is there a secret club that I am not part of thus no responses?[/QUOTE

You dont need a stiff back for trusses.
But you do need to lace the trusses with a 1x or 2x per the truss manufactures specs. The trusses should have came with the paper work telling you where to lace them. Some trusses have red paint lines on them where lacers are needed. Just cut your span in half with the lacers and you should be fine. take care, Pops......

·
Banned
3,292 Posts
That is because I hang out over a the dyi forums for home owners. Like pwrpapa said follow the paper work that which is the engineering for the trusses. The only time I have strongbacked truss's is when a lateral brace could not be secured to the upright supports in horizontal fashion.
Now as for the bottom chords a board run or "rat run" as we like to call it is only required ever 12 feet on chord spans over 14 feet. (check you local code) Now if you want to put a rat run in on anything under spec that will stiffen you bottom cord regardless and in my opinion will help in the battle against cracking.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. The trusses did not come with paperwork, they were made by a local company that recently went under. I'll do the rat run thing and hopefully that'll be fine. The reason I ask is that I see a lot of strongbacks around here on truss buildings, (full 2x8's with a 2x6 nailed on top in a L shape). This seemed like overkill to me, that's why I asked.

·
Banned
3,292 Posts
ATS said:
Thanks guys. The trusses did not come with paperwork, they were made by a local company that recently went under. I'll do the rat run thing and hopefully that'll be fine. The reason I ask is that I see a lot of strongbacks around here on truss buildings, (full 2x8's with a 2x6 nailed on top in a L shape). This seemed like overkill to me, that's why I asked.
That is not over kill well it is but that is the new way. Also if you don't have your papers at inspection it will NOT PASS. You need to get those papers or a engineer will cost you $400 on up to get a stamp. Also make sure your trusses themselves have engineering stamps. Don't ask. :Thumbs:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts