Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to remove years of paint from a client's chimney, which is exposed on all four sides. Any advice much appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
I would use a chemical stripper, I can't think of the name but it comes with the sheets that you put over the stripper for 18 hours and then just peel it off.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Man, stripping paint off brick in someones kitchen. I just LOVE jobs like that. Recommend a good Faux painter to paint over it to make it look like red brick again? Heh, one day for a good faux painter, 2-3 days and a lot of mess stripping it down with possible disappointing results.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I would use a chemical stripper, I can't think of the name but it comes with the sheets that you put over the stripper for 18 hours and then just peel it off.
This was my first thought but doubt it would work since the paper you are supposed to adhere to it doesn't have a flat surface to bond to. Its certainly worth a try. I think chemical stripper and a lot of wirebrushes.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
This was my first thought but doubt it would work since the paper you are supposed to adhere to it doesn't have a flat surface to bond to. Its certainly worth a try. I think chemical stripper and a lot of wirebrushes.
Did you take a knife and dig into the layers of paint to get an idea of how many coats are to be stripped? I'd charge up the ying yang on a project like this and definitely make my customer understand the mess and hassle of getting painted brick back to brick.

If painting for a movie star or some project with deep pockets, then brick it will be.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts