Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Working on cleaning and refinishing a deck and wanted to post some notes and pics as the job moves along. Customer had the deck painted with a film-forming latex paint (not to be confused with solid penetrating deck stain). A lot of sections had weathered and cracked. It looked awful.

Decided to try Multi-Strip, by Back to Nature Products. We rolled it on with a 3/8" nap roller over the deck boards, the band board, and the stairs (there was no railing, fortunately). It took about 1.5 hours to coat all the surfaces (18x22 deck). We used 3 gal. It says 50-75 sf per gal., but at $50 a gal, and with only a single layer of latex, I wanted to see if that much would be enough (it boasts lifting 8-15 layers of oil, latex, etc.). We lightly misted the deck with a hose (per manuf. instructions) before rolling.

Then it dries, and the longer it dries, the more it strips. Supposed to wait up to 24 hours and then peel it off. Check in tomorrow...

·
House Painters Reading PA
459 Posts
I just restored a cedar deck(Rescued it) from a previous latex coating from Behr. I applied HD80 along with ADD booster from ACR products. I let it stand maybe 5-10 minutes and then went back with about 800PSI. It all melted off like the coating was just laying on the surface. I followed up with a pH balancing coating. After I allowed it to dry, I sanded it and applied Armstrong Clark Semi-Solid Stains(Woodland Brown)

I will have to look into your chem for the stripping just for my own info. Thanks

1 - 2 of 2 Posts