Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
joebuilderinc
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm gonna build some stairs using trex as treads and risers. Does anyone have any suggestions for stringers? they will need to be durable becuase they are exposed weather.

·
Custom Stuff
867 Posts
Use strong ones. Don't use the thin stuff as it won't hold up. First dog that pees on it and down it goes.

I'm sorry, joebuilder, but you walked into that one. You seem to do decent work, (from your website), and you seem to know how to build more than just small stuff, so the question is 'why the question?' :blink:

·
joebuilderinc
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm beginning to like this site becuase it offers entertainment as well as good advice. I've followed some threads and found myself laughing out loud!:laughing: (the bidding question) Anyway, I've always used 2x10 or 2x12 stringers ,of course, treated when exposed. I'm tempted to use timberstand OSB but I'm concerned that won't work in weather. I was wondering if there is a durable product similar to trex that can be used for stringers. I'm not aware of one but maybe someone out there is,

·
Custom Stuff
867 Posts
Think we ought to send Chainsaw Charlie after him? Flower boy will show him how to do it. :laughing::laughing::laughing:

OSB is not strong enough when cut as a stringer. Use treated 2x12's, sister up a 2nd stringer if the treads don't overlap the sides, and trim with Azek.

·
Registered
41 Posts
PT 2x12's, rated for ground contact.
Need them stronger? soak the cut edges with something to better protect them... Need to have them less bouncy, install a 2x6 along the side of the stringers, touching the treads...

~Matt
That's what I would do, and if feasible, I would consider hidden fasteners for your treads and risers, since a lot of rot occurs from water seeping thru the screw/nail holes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts