Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a client with a fiberglass deck that they hate. We want to drop a floating trex deck over it. Issue is the one door to deck is only approxlmently 2 inches above the deck surface. Couple of things I am concerned about that I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on

*Any recommenations for stringer material?

Concern #1 - Deck could have been build with a bit more pitch and it collects a little water near the edges. So I prefer to not to use anything for strigner that would rot

Concern #2 - really want to stay under that 2" height at door threshhold. Deck does taper a bit away from door so I could tape the stringer to level the deck and get back that extra height but near door/house I need to stay close to 2" in total height. Checking exact height today.

Concern #3 - If I keep height of deck low, does that cause a circualtion issue relating to it getting too hot under decking? I dont have a huge issue with tree leaves or other things getting under there as project it at beach.

Concern #4 - I think I should palletize it at least to some degree. Three quarters of deck is over another deck and doenst require the underlying deck to be perfectly waterproof but 1/4 of it is over living sprace so we may need to service underlying surface at some future date. But I also realize palitizing it will be hard as the outside railing will be screwed in to original decking making anything floating near the railings to be hard to easily remove. We are looking at how we can retrofit current railling to allow it to remain at proper height, either by raising the flange or making a small alumimn extension.

Concern #5 - Less of a 'deck' quesiton but I think we can get more life out of this fiberglass deck by waterproofing it. I need to do some tests and find something like EPDM that would stick to the fiberglass.

·
Registered
10,825 Posts
Looks good to me, and easy enough to clean seasonally.

If it's worn, maybe they just need a fresh gel coat, etc.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts