Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am volunteering at a local organization wanting a office added on the opposite side of an already existing wall (steel Construction). What they are wanting me to do is basically frame a parallel wall 12ft from that and then add ceiling joists across so that the room created will have a 8ft ceiling in a 14' room. they would like the extra 3.5ft above to be usable for storage of course my concern with this is would it be safe for people to stand on this 144sqft space when storing goods considering that it will all be held up by steel construction (they were donated a huge amount of steel studs)

Attachments

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
The steel construction would need to be steel "I" beams rated at the required pounds per square foot, I think.

I did the similar project. But I had a steel company build the mezzanine out of steel and I built the office and break room underneath.

The mezzanine was framed with steel "I" beams resting on steel posts with a corrugated steel floor above. I framed everything with steel studs, drywall and drop ceiling.

For the mezzanine floor, I screwed some 1" x 4" boards to the steel and 3/4" ply to the 1x4's.

·
Vendor
5 Posts
I agree with slowsol, wood is easier, but for commercial, wood may not be "professional". We use at least 20 gauge steel studs for loaded walls. Maybe have an engineer spec your content for you?

·
Registered
160 Posts
On your topic header it says comparason bettwen metal or steel, they are the same thing but as far as gauge I wouldn't use 25 gauge to frame a wall more or less a floor. I would at least go 20 might even need 18

·
Registered
481 Posts
"they would like the extra 3.5ft above to be usable for storage of course my concern with this is would it be safe for people to stand on this 144sqft space when storing goods considering that it will all be held up by steel construction"

I've never met a building official that would allow this even if it just "storage". Mezzanines, second floors, regardless of what they are or aren't used for require similar live/dead load requirements as occupied space. Not to mention the AHJ would then consider this space/building having multiple uses.

QCCI, you placing concrete over the decking?

·
Registered
649 Posts
GCTony said:
"they would like the extra 3.5ft above to be usable for storage of course my concern with this is would it be safe for people to stand on this 144sqft space when storing goods considering that it will all be held up by steel construction" I've never met a building official that would allow this even if it just "storage". Mezzanines, second floors, regardless of what they are or aren't used for require similar live/dead load requirements as occupied space. Not to mention the AHJ would then consider this space/building having multiple uses. QCCI, you placing concrete over the decking?
Yes, 3" normal weight concrete 4,000psi, over 9/16 - 26 ga form decking, with 6-6-W1.4xW1.4 WWF reinforcing. Actually we did that job about early last year, just thought it would shed some light on the topic.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I use 25g for walls everyday no problem, for load bearing, 18 or 16g and for joists 16g and depending on the span 14 or 12g.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts