Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Archy couldn't get any more roof lines to fit?
What is your estimated time on the roof, (trusses and sheeting) if you don't mind me asking. :laughing:

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No trusses, cut and stack roof. There's just 3 of us, so day and a half ceiling, 4 days rafters, hips and jacks, 3 or 4 to sheet, plus it'll be in January, so who knows on the weather. I'm taking 2 weeks off at the holidays to visit my son and family in Germany. Can't believe I have a son who's a Lt Colonel.

·
632 Posts
kiteman said:
No trusses, cut and stack roof. There's just 3 of us, so day and a half ceiling, 4 days rafters, hips and jacks, 3 or 4 to sheet, plus it'll be in January, so who knows on the weather. I'm taking 2 weeks off at the holidays to visit my son and family in Germany. Can't believe I have a son who's a Lt Colonel.
That looks like two days of just cutting rafters!
Nothing looks as clean as a stacked roof.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And just about every wall height possible up to 12'.

Except 8', of course:laughing:

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's phucking awesome that your son is a Lt. Colonel. :thumbup:
I know! right?

Too bad he voted for The One.:mad: I don't dare talk politics with him. I get my azz kicked, him having been on the debate team.

Influenced by his wife from your capitol.

·
GC/carpenter
43,955 Posts
kiteman said:
I know! right? Too bad he voted for The One.:mad: I don't dare talk politics with him. I get my azz kicked, him having been on the debate team. Influenced by his wife from your capitol.
I don't care who he voted for, a Lt. Colonel is a Major ( pun intended ) accomplishment.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree. I'm very proud of him! Speaks 4 languages fluently, probably conversational in a few more.

Reactions: Calidecks

·
Registered
594 Posts
Pretty sweet deal. Around hear everything is trusses. I had to do a small irregular section of stick framing and I'm ashamed to admit, it took me all day. I know how to hand frame, I'm just not in good practice. Wish we did more of it. Do you get a drawing of how every thing gets put together? Surely an engineer specs out that stuff right?

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Do you get a drawing of how every thing gets put together? Surely an engineer specs out that stuff right?
:laughing::laughing::laughing::no::no:
The plan calls out 2X6 or 2X8 cj's depending on the span, and 2X6 rafters throughout, with 2X8 hips. The lumber salesman notes on a plan the lengths he sent for joists, rafters and headers. The rest is up to me.

2611' main with 1024' garage and 1118' lower level.

·
GC/carpenter
43,955 Posts
kiteman said:
:laughing::laughing::laughing::no::no: The plan calls out 2X6 or 2X8 cj's depending on the span, and 2X6 rafters throughout, with 2X8 hips. The lumber salesman notes on a plan the lengths he sent for joists, rafters and headers. The rest is up to me. 2611' main with 1024' garage and 1118' lower level.
Sometimes that a good thing when things aren't on the plans. I like plans that leave it up to me.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Interesting how things are so different from one place to the next. 2x6&2x8 wouldnt fly around here for a roof like that. I did an addition on a garage that specced out 2 ply LVL's for the hips and valleys and 2x12 rafters. Another big house had 5 1/2 x 16 psl ridge, 7x14 hip and all kinds of crazyness

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, you have to understand that, first, 2X6 cj's are good up to 13' 10", then 2X8 above that, and larger if required, in accordance with our approved span charts. Then, by using your strategically placed headers, girders and bearing walls, everything is kicked (purlins) so that no 2X6 rafter spans more than 12'.
Hips are braced at the top and on every bearing point they cross. Gets pretty creative sometimes.

Reactions: CanningCustom

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
1 - 20 of 50 Posts