Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be writing a short column in Remodeling magazine, and would appreciate any thoughts on the following point:

Even though sustainable construction products and practices haven't yet replaced the traditional way of doing things, green building seems to have lost its aura as new and different - at least as far as being able to differentiate yourself and capture the early adopter customers before the competition catches up.

So if "everyone" builds green now, what's out there that offers the next strategic step after Green?

·
Registered
118 Posts
I'm going to be writing a short column in Remodeling magazine, and would appreciate any thoughts on the following point:

Even though sustainable construction products and practices haven't yet replaced the traditional way of doing things, green building seems to have lost its aura as new and different - at least as far as being able to differentiate yourself and capture the early adopter customers before the competition catches up.

So if "everyone" builds green now, what's out there that offers the next strategic step after Green?
Does the column have to be about the next step after green?

I wonder if you're not getting ahead of yourself. There's more money to be made after the early adopters, isn't there?

Here's some article ideas:
Has green been played?
Green: Not new to us, still new to our customers.
Will people still pay a premium for green?
(I'm no headline writer, but you get the idea).

·
windows & siding
844 Posts
Personally, I don't think that green is going anywhere. Perhaps the use of the term will fade, but if you want to see where things are headed, one need look any further than the younger generation of homeowners whose tendencies are starting to make us stand up and take notice. Personally, I see a strong commitment from them on green practices and materials. Another thing I see is a demand for convenience, and an almost "anti-social" nature. This is a group of people that will go online and buy a car or other major purpose because it is convenient, and because in some respects, they have underdeveloped social skills as so much of their communication can be done by email, texting, etc. I also think that our culture of instant gratification contributes to this...They want to go online, research a project, get pricing, and schedule it.... Just my $.02

·
manufacturer of vinyl win
32 Posts
I think the concept of 'green" is great. The problem is some of cliams to be "green" are real and a large percentage of the claims to be "green" are really just a bandwagon to hitch a ride on without substance. To be "green" has merit, but there's so much flim-flam.

I think the next step to being "green" is to map out a solid energy policy and build public policy around that. Oh, by the way, the tooth fairy is real.

Rebuilding the economy and taxes

Future windows

·
Stone Guy
369 Posts
You can't manufacture green.

Manufacture means there is factory somewhere involved.....towers puffing black smoke, pipes dumping into rivers.

Any shiny new product called "green" is probably a lie.

Green products are old.

Natural stone and lime mortar.

Timber framing.

Cob and Adobe.

Wanna build green, use the term green in advertising and still look in the miror and see an honest face Then build with what is at your feet, build to traditional standards, maybe even try using a traditional tool or two.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Your feedback

Thanks for your responses, guys. It seems as though there's more to say about what Green isn't, than there is about what may be next. I'm going to hold off on writing about that topic.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I agree that "green" has a different definition to each person. But to answer your original question, I think the next big thing will be implementing more technology into your home. Now this may be some time down the road as it is not economical for 99 percent of the population. But I believe in the not to distant future you will see most aspects of your house wired to a computer, shades open and close at different pre-programed times. There will be sensors in many different places, they will tell you when a faucet is dripping, how much water you use a month, preset shower temps for each individual. I guess I would call it Tech building. Although it may sound far off, if you told someone 20 years ago that a robot would be sweeping their floors (roomba) they would think of Rosie from the jetsons.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts