Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just friendly reminder, even if your just "going a few blocks" strap your load down, we're all guilty of this so I'm not being a hipocrit.

Saturday my brother was in 3rd car back on the hwy on ramp, 2 cars ahead of him was a guy from a construction company with the 1T dump with roofing material laid on the flat bed, once they were approaching the hwy (and hwy speeds) the roof edging went for a "magic carpet ride" through the air, old man directly behind the dump truck locked up the brakes
(cuz he did'nt want to run over the edging and get a hole in his new tires), brothers car literally drove up underneath the Lincoln town car, the lincolns rear bumper almost went through the windsheild of my brothers car...

meanwhile the car behind my brother locked them up and missed him by inches, but the car behind her got into her azz end pretty good. Car behind that one verred off the hwy and into the ditch to avoid hitting any cars....shortly after this happened, the dump truck driver decided he needed to get to the job site, picked up his material off the hwy and left...since "he was'nt involved in any accident" and cops were'nt there yet, luckily one of the folks got the licsence number.

So brothers car is now totalled and 3 others with damage, (nobody was hurt luckily) just so one guy could hurry up and get back to the job site.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Here, the vehicle operator is responsible for the load. Not securing it could, potentially, set you up for manslaughter charges if a death was caused due to negligence.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
How bout this one? I did strap down my material but didn't realize the boxes of siding had the front flaps open. At the first stop sign about 3 squares of vinyl siding went for a slide across the street. How emberrasing!

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
I lost 3 sheets of plywood in the parking lot of the Orange Home Center the other day. Not off my truck but off one of those orange piece of crap carts when the wind picked up. One of the sheets hit a car that an employee was eating his dinner in. Hit it flat and it was a beat up car so there was no damage. Those 3 sheets could have done some damage or some serious injury! <P>
I'm still a little sore about those orange boys running off all the real lumber yards and then making me load a piece of lumber 2 sometimes 3 times. I hope they get a big lawsuit for there "expert advice". I love their electrical staff!<P>
The sheets of plywood were bunged up but I was cutting them into pieces and the wind was too much to try to go for replacements. I'll get them back, (i'm the guy who puts the parts back in the wrong bins).<P>
On the trucks I always had a rule that nothing on the racks was ever unsecured, even if the truck was going to be parked all day. It is too easy to drive off without checking. I know i've had a few things fly off in 35 years but as far as I know there was no damage. RT.<P>
"So much to learn and so little time"

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Also dont forget to CLOSE YOUR TAILGATE!!!! I made that mistake last year with a brand new Stihl german saw I had for 3 days. Of course noone turned it in even after I placed an ad in the paper. Had to buy another one so now I tell people I have the most expensive german saw in Green Bay. $1700.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Vans folks, vans. I can get almost anything in or on a van that you can haul in a P/U. They are in the same weight classes for hauling or towing, you can carry more tools than a bed toolbox and everything stays nice and dry and locked up.

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
I started out with old bread trucks. My two latest additions have been specialized walk in bodies, modeled after the famous George Brazil "Super Truck". We're in the 50-75K range here, depending on exactly how the truck is upfit. Big generators and hydraulic pumps drive the price up.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
The long wheelbase (Ford or Chevy) without the extension give you about 9ft+ behind the seatbacks. Small stuff, like 2X?X12's, you can get between the seats. I have a couple with the passanger seat removed that you can load beyond capacity, this is pretty easy with PT.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
I had a big flatbed loaded down with 2x, ply, and you name it, topped off with a foot or two of drywall. Everything was strapped down but as I was driving down the highway I kept seeing this white dust swirling in the rear views, couldn't see anything on the road ahead. Finally figured it out :eek: . Strap drywall down at the FRONT, I had it strapped a couple feet back and the sheets were peeling up, snapping and disintegrating on the road behind me. Oops.

I once left the yard behind a guy with 1/2" OSB sitting in the bed of his pu. Followed him long enough to count the sheets. When he headed for the hill out of town I turned off just before he spread the whole 17 sheets across the intersection.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
ProWallGuy said:
Grumpy, if you use all subs, why do you need the work trucks/vans?
About a month ago I decided to use subs for everything except my specialty, roofing. I have hired two skilled roofers and am on the hunt for a few helpers once I build a better backlog, with the help of my new salesman.

My regular two sub crews who I trust to do the job exactly the way I want it done have been busy on their own work. I've tried out a few other crews and for various reasons they didn't work out. One was nothing but headaches and poor quality. The other was great quality but small crew so they were slow and required alot of hand holding from me, plus they didn't have alot of the equipmeng I consider necessary, like Ladder-vators.

I figured if I am going to have headaches and hand holding that I might as well have my own head aches and have more profit so I'm giving this a try for awhile and see how it works out. Just an experiment more than anything else. If it works out then good. if not back the sub model.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Grumpy, for quality and profitabilty, you have to pull it in house. I sub very little nowdays and most of my subs I have known for at least 30 yrs.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I was driving this piece of crap, antique cement mixer up a steep city bridge early one morning during rush hour in the city. Man, I'm grabbing gears and billowing smoke as I chugged up that bridge with a full load of concrete. I glance back in the mirror, and the drum is suddenly turning the wrong way. Looking down at the drum control in the cab, the thing is lying there broken. A pin had sheared in the mechanism, and I'm discharging a nice windrow of concrete all the way up that bridge. There was nothing I could do to stop it. Cars are honking and waving at me. Veering all over to get out of the way of a full load of wet concrete being laid out in that nice neat row all the way up the bridge. Finally got to the top of the hill where I could pull over. I'm empty by then, and people are flipping me off as they drive by. What did I do? Scraped the few remaining rocks out of the chute and headed back to the plant. It was on the news that night. They never did find out it was me.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts