Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
1,745 Posts
Back then, you leased the phone from the company. We had two phones for a 3000sf home, one in the kitchen, one in the master bedroom. Dad paid extra each month for that second phone.

Being cheap, he thought it was great buying additional phones at garage sales and swap meets. Now each room had a phone and he felt good about "screwing the phone company". However, when we needed a technician for phone service, we would have to gather up the illegitimate phones and hide them so we wouldn't get caught and charged. Probably was $1.00/mo back then for the additional phones.

Who needs an adapter?

This phone sits on my night stand to this day. Still works. Can't dial out on it anymore, but the bell on this thing will raise the dead.

I leave the old plug on there cause I like it. Reminds me of when I found the phone in my grandpa's attic when I was a kid, took it home and wired up with the plug so I could use it in my room and have that extra phone without paying for it.

That's yesterdays newspaper it's sitting on just for the picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,576 Posts
I do not recall ever seeing one of those old jacks in my younger days.

A lot of the old phones had a switch that you could adjust the ring from loud to soft.

·
Registered
10,824 Posts
There's also a round wall plate of similar vintage. Seen those? My folks had them installed in their newly built home in the early 60's....I still admire the installation quality of their trim, esp. the door casings. Everything is stained & coated in varnish or something. All joints still snug and solid. Not a hammer dent to be found anywhere.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Oh, and I wasn't the only one standing there saying "wtf is that thing?" A very good builder, who is not from Maine, did not know what it was, as well as the owner.
You don't see many around here because they transitioned most directly from Bell owned hard wired phones to RJ11s. The 4 pin connector is called a 505A and was only used between 65 and 75 when the registered jack came out.

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
Back then, you leased the phone from the company. We had two phones for a 3000sf home, one in the kitchen, one in the master bedroom. Dad paid extra each month for that second phone.

Being cheap, he thought it was great buying additional phones at garage sales and swap meets. Now each room had a phone and he felt good about "screwing the phone company". However, when we needed a technician for phone service, we would have to gather up the illegitimate phones and hide them so we wouldn't get caught and charged. Probably was $1.00/mo back then for the additional phones.

If he were alive today he would be amazed and probably a little disappointed to see how businesses have devised so many ways to extract every dime they can from subscribers (phone, cell, cable, satellite, internet, etc).

LOL Didn't have to pay to have your "leased" phones and phone lines, on the house, side serviced.

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
You don't see many around here because they transitioned most directly from Bell owned hard wired phones to RJ11s. The 4 pin connector is called a 505A and was only used between 65 and 75 when the registered jack came out.
They were available in the US prior to 65

·
Registered
115 Posts
Phone jack. Those stopped being used in 1984 when the phone companies broke up and allowed you to buy your own stuff and everything went modular.

-Hal

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Not much, a year or two prior to 1964 maybe. Could have been a regional 'roll out' type thing. I don't doubt that it was the absolute standard after '65, tho.
So I'm not off by 20 years though? :laughing:

I bet some areas of north america didn't even see them and went right to RJs.

·
The Ultimate Wire Hider
4,455 Posts
This phone sits on my night stand to this day. Still works. Can't dial out on it anymore, but the bell on this thing will raise the dead.
Reverse the polarity on your wiring and you should be able to dial out with it. Older Western Electric phones are sensitive in that regard.

Doctor Handyman said:
Probably was $1.00/mo back then for the additional phones.
Believe it or not, there are many long-time phone company subscribers who are STILL paying a few dollars extra a month to lease their phones.

I imagine that between the mid 60's and mid 70's the standards were somewhat ambiguous. I've seen buildings that were constructed during this era that have both the 4-prong and hard-wired jacks. Also I've seen houses that have 25-pair cable daisy-chained through all of the rooms while others simply had the 2-pair/4 wire cabling going throughout the house.

Texas Wax said:
Could have been a regional 'roll out' type thing. I don't doubt that it was the absolute standard after '65, tho.
It was probably optional for someone who could afford only 1 phone but had the infrastructure in place to have a phone in any room.

·
1,745 Posts
A lot of the old phones had a switch that you could adjust the ring from loud to soft.
No ringer switch on that old baby. Just a loud bell!:eek:

Reverse the polarity on your wiring and you should be able to dial out with it. Older Western Electric phones are sensitive in that regard.
It's not the wiring. It used to work great. My VOIP does not recognize the rotary dialing. :no:

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
No ringer switch on that old baby. Just a loud bell!:eek:

It's not the wiring. It used to work great. My VOIP does not recognize the rotary dialing. :no:
Call you service provider and ask for an adaptor, they may have one that works with their system.

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
So I'm not off by 20 years though? :laughing:

I bet some areas of north america didn't even see them and went right to RJs.
'65 on would be for new installs and changing out phones that where 'hard wired. That was one selling point on the "lease" - service was free.

Many family members who worked for Ma Bell (Wisconsin) ;)

·
Registered
11,367 Posts
If the house is stuck in the 60's, everything is mint, just tell them that is what everyone wants now. Bring in a cleaning lady, charge them 50,000 bucks for the "new" design and go to the bank. :laughing:

I would love to find a stuck in the 60's house. The fixtures are worth good money alone. The tile can be, and I love the mid-century look and feel.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts