Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Formica laminate dates it to :whistling circa 1964 .... grew up with both in the family homestead

·
The Duke
14,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We must have been sheltered here in Maine. I've never seen anything remotely like that. Or perhaps a better explanation is that I never paid attention. I recall almond colored plastic ones, surface mounted. Nothing recessed. Definitely no on the counter top.

This was such a time travel house. Everything is pretty much original from the 60's in mint condition. Red sinks, George Jetson lighting, stairs were bizarre.

·
Registered
13,590 Posts
why would you waste money on an adapter

just change out the jack
You will need to get a round modular jack. The mud rings suck to get out and a rectangular jack will not cover the opening.

I can't convince my wife to get rid of the home phone. She's to old to change her ways.

Tom

·
Project Superintendent
2,525 Posts
I can't convince my wife to get rid of the home phone.

Tom
Me either. We pay Ma Bell 35 bucks a month for minimal service just to say we have a land line, on top of the 300 a month we pay for all the extended family smart and regular cell service. The only thing we get on the land line is robo calls.

·
GC/carpenter
44,330 Posts
mudpad said:
Me either. We pay Ma Bell 35 bucks a month for minimal service just to say we have a land line, on top of the 300 a month we pay for all the extended family smart and regular cell service. The only thing we get on the land line is robo calls.
Just get ooma it's free and you can keep your number. My wife wouldn't part with the home phone so this is what I got from costco. You can't even tell it's an internet phone.

·
The Duke
14,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
For real??
How old are you?

I'm 48 and the late 50's house I grew up in had several of them all over. I remember as a kid them phasing in modular plugs.
I'm dead serious. I would have noticed something like that in anyone's home. I'e been in hundreds of older homes here and there's nothing like that. I'm 36 btw :whistling :laughing:

Things are a little behind the times here. Like I said, I recall surface mounted plastic types that resemble the layout, but that is way too fancy to actually make it integrated into the wall. We had Radio Shack specials and electrical tape holding our telephone lines together.

·
General Contractor
499 Posts
That rotary phone and 4 prong jack brings back memories.

Custom SoCal home built in 1966 by my father, every room had one of those jacks.

Back then, you leased the phone from the company. We had two phones for a 3000sf home, one in the kitchen, one in the master bedroom. Dad paid extra each month for that second phone.

Being cheap, he thought it was great buying additional phones at garage sales and swap meets. Now each room had a phone and he felt good about "screwing the phone company". However, when we needed a technician for phone service, we would have to gather up the illegitimate phones and hide them so we wouldn't get caught and charged. Probably was $1.00/mo back then for the additional phones.

If he were alive today he would be amazed and probably a little disappointed to see how businesses have devised so many ways to extract every dime they can from subscribers (phone, cell, cable, satellite, internet, etc).

·
Registered
818 Posts
Never seen a wall jack like that either, but I have seen many 60's houses like that, seemingly frozen in time

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.