Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Finishing Carpenter
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
was at a small job Friday, workin in the kitchen installing some trim- about noon or so- I hear a gawd awful sound! sorta like a skinny moose! several times! its the clock on the wall! HO is laughing his head off at me!
well it was kinda funny- next hour? some other sound, I don't know what it was, could'a been a seal? maybe a cougar? not sure. Strange stuff out there in HO land....I don't know where you'd even buy something that..... different!

Nice folks though! :) fed me cookies, and tried to sign me up to buy some sorta energy drink LOL kinda why I have a coffee now and then!

·
Registered
234 Posts
One day laying on my back under a sink after putting in a new countertop I heard the customer let out a shriek at the top of her lungs and scream out "No don't do that."
I jumped out from under the sink with hammer in hand and cautiously made my way to the family room where the lady was expecting to see something I didn't want to see.
When she saw me and the look on my face she started laughing. Seems she really gets involved in her soap operas and someone was about to get murdered so she screamed.

·
Mickey
105 Posts
I was putting in all new windows and new vinyl siding for an elderly lady, I think she was 87 at the time. Lived out in the country, Anyway I'm working along all around the house and she comes up to me with a small snake that was smashed to smithereens, holding it by the tail. Then proceeded to ask me if it was a rattlesnake. I looked closer and sure enough it was, and if you are all familiar with rattlesnakes you know the young ones are the worst. They don't rattle all the time and they haven't learned how to control the amount of venom they inject, so if they bite, you get the full dose. Scared the crap out of me, almost called it a day and it was only 10 in the morning. Nice little old lady though, one of those people it's a pleasure to work for.

·
Banned
110 Posts
I was jamming insulation when i heard a extremely loud scream, like a ladies voice, there were no ladies in the sight! I coulden't believe how loud it was, i was the only one on the sight, so it wasn't mechaninacal. Really screechin'!

I turned off the Power from the breaker and guess what, it was the ancient fan in the bathroom.

·
Box Builder
6,320 Posts
What really gets me is how dirty some peoples' houses can be. It is f'ing gross at times. I feel like telling them- clean this place up and then I'll come back and work. One place, been using pantyhose over the dryer vent for 20 years or so. I almost offered to install a vent no charge.

·
Registered
75 Posts
What really gets me is how dirty some peoples' houses can be. It is f'ing gross at times. I feel like telling them- clean this place up and then I'll come back and work. One place, been using pantyhose over the dryer vent for 20 years or so. I almost offered to install a vent no charge.
Agreed. I hate bathrooms, and bedrooms sometimes. I can't stand the bathrooms because it seems like some people sit at the john and pick loose pubes while doing their duty and toss them behind. I always tell people to make sure they clean their bathrooms before I paint if I noticed it is dirty at all.

·
Registered
514 Posts
The hands down strangest for me was plaster casts of the Mr. & Mrs. genitalia proudly displayed on a second floor hall table.
Come on, how is anyone going to top this.

I was going to tell my story about a women who was rushing to clean up as she was showing me a problem she was having in her bathroom when it sounded like she accidentally must have turned on that finish sander she was storing in her drawer :eek:. But I guess that wasn't all that strange just a little awkward.

I think the plaster casts take the cake. :clap:

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
13,324 Posts
Closet? Or shower?

The coolest thing I ever saw was a table in a hallway. Chess table, all inlaid wood with hand-carved pieces. Looked to be a couple hundred years old. HO told me this yarn about how Lee and Grant had played chess on that table while they were at West Point.

I thought to myself "Riiiiiiiiight!" So I commented, "Too bad you couldn't prove that. It would make the table worth a lot of money."

She pointed to a framed photo on the wall right above the table. Sure 'nuff, there was Grant and Lee sitting on either side of it.

·
Zimmermann
328 Posts
was doing a small baseboard job in center city here and in the guys bedroom was an armoire that needed to be moved so me and the homeowner go to move this thing. I tip it towards me and from the top a stack of polaroids slides down right into my face of this gentlemen doing provocative(dont have the stomach or diction tpo describe) things to another guy. Needless to say Im freaked out and HO bursts out " I dont know what those are or where they came from"....

moral of the story:
too many to count

·
Registered
75 Posts
I remember once we had this real weird lady for a customer. She had this little loft that we were working in and it had a mattress on the floor and near it was a bowl that was about half full of a liquid that looked an awful lot like piss. Strange for sure.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts