Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
If it's not thermal bridging. Could it be that the studs are holding enough moisture in them to keep that area of drywall and paint from drying out and fading as much as the drywall and paint that isn't over a stud?

What brand of primer and paint was used? Is the paint flat or does it have a sheen?

I wonder if an oil based stain blocking primer would solve it?
I don't know what causes it But I did paint a house with the same problem on the ceilings. Less on the walls. We oil primed the ceilings and used SW Pro-Mar 400 for the finish. I was back in the house to do some other work 6 months later and it still looked great.

·
Registered
11 Posts
So this is a new home and has nothing to do with the first pic or any of the responses in 10'.

OK.

So how about a picture from the new home?
Sorry, yes, different house similar issue. I did a search in this forum to see what had been discussed on this topic before. Made sense to tie my issue to the previous.
My issue looks pretty much like the photo in OP, but will try to find one in our file at the office.
(For the record Paulie, I have always been a fan of glue and screw drywall application)
The paint is a special Benjamin Moore product (flat) selected by the customer (Not our usual paint). Our painter uses BM paints a lot, but never this one. I’ll try to dig up the spec on this too. I remember it cost about $41 per gallon. An aside - BM rep won’t even go look at it – says problems like this are never the result of the paint. Said he would provide new paint at no cost though.
I think it is a paint/fading issue; this makes sense around the picture on the wall, but not so much with the stud/glue pattern. I think too, we could probably cover it successfully, but I’m more about finding out what happened to prevent the issue in the future.
I’ve managed the construction of hundreds of homes and never had this problem (reported) before or after. The only things we have not used before are the paint and the sealer for the hardwood floors.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Re: Strange Stud Shadows On Interior Walls

Is there any green board in the baths or the laundry area, how do they look? Is there any wallpaper or any borders, does it ghost on them or up to them? Do they have unvented gas logs or a vent free blueflame heater? If you can see any exposed nails in the crawlspace or attic are or under a stairway, are they rusting or showing signs of corrosion. Is the break in the ghosting at the mid wall consistent with the absence of the glue? Makes you think the glue is acting as a vapor barrier in narrow strips. Are the bath fans ever used? Do they steam alot of vegatables? Is the dryer vent too long or obstructed? Do you see it on kingstuds/jackstuds near window and doors? What about on headers above doors and windows. If all else fails, strip all the drywall and add Mooney walls to the whole place, repaint with chalboard paint and let the kids play dot to dot or word box games, with the greatly reduced thermal bridging or ghosting.

·
Grand Rapids Remodeling
3,115 Posts
Sorry, yes, different house similar issue. I did a search in this forum to see what had been discussed on this topic before. Made sense to tie my issue to the previous.
My issue looks pretty much like the photo in OP, but will try to find one in our file at the office.
(For the record Paulie, I have always been a fan of glue and screw drywall application)
The paint is a special Benjamin Moore product (flat) selected by the customer (Not our usual paint). Our painter uses BM paints a lot, but never this one. I’ll try to dig up the spec on this too. I remember it cost about $41 per gallon. An aside - BM rep won’t even go look at it – says problems like this are never the result of the paint. Said he would provide new paint at no cost though.
I think it is a paint/fading issue; this makes sense around the picture on the wall, but not so much with the stud/glue pattern. I think too, we could probably cover it successfully, but I’m more about finding out what happened to prevent the issue in the future.
I’ve managed the construction of hundreds of homes and never had this problem (reported) before or after. The only things we have not used before are the paint and the sealer for the hardwood floors.
How about lighting? Do the rooms affected have large windows? Further, are the walls all a southern exposure?

By the way, I'm just a idea man... I rarely make sense or have answers, I leave that up to smart people.

·
Registered
11 Posts
How about lighting? Do the rooms affected have large windows? Further, are the walls all a southern exposure?

By the way, I'm just a idea man... I rarely make sense or have answers, I leave that up to smart people.
:laughing: I'm looking for ideas! Windows on second floor are "normal" for a house its size. More windows (glass doors) on the first floor than most, but more ghosting upstairs.
Orientation is more East/West and the ghosting is not consistant in any particular compass direction.

Joe (water?;)) h20 I like the suggestion about the chalkboard paint :clap:
I'd answer all your questions, but I'm afraid Paulie might complain about the word count:whistling
The house does not seem to have a moisture issue, but have not tested R/H. Seeing as much or more ghosting on interior walls, not really noticable at window RO's or headers.

·
Registered
547 Posts
• Wood burning fireplace (Yes, I know what you’re thinking!)

The ghosting pattern follows the studs in some rooms and not others on inside and outside walls. Rooms on first floor and second floor each have ghosting, but not all rooms on each floor. Seems to exist where there are darker paint colors.

What about North-South facing orientation?
Two really interesting things:
One
The ghost pattern follows the stud, but more accurately follows the pattern you’d expect to see from the drywall adhesive applied to the stud. Appears to start 10” from floor, runs up just short of middle, stops for about 12”, and then continues up to about 10’ from ceiling.
Extra mud/plaster at sheetrock joints?
Two
There is a big picture on a wall in the family room that showed ghosting (the wall not the picture), we removed the picture and – no ghosting.
The dirt/soot settles on the picture keeping the wall clean
All this makes me think the ion/molecule/electrostatic thing is going on, but I don’t know why or how.
Customer would like us to repaint the house, but we are reluctant to do so without knowing if it will happen again.
Any new info to share? Thanks
Tell them to wash the walls once in a while. My wife and I washed down a room at in-laws a few years ago, the stud and strapping lines have disappeared, except for that one 4x4 square we missed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Tell them to wash the walls once in a while. My wife and I washed down a room at in-laws a few years ago, the stud and strapping lines have disappeared, except for that one 4x4 square we missed.
You might have something there. We moved a couch to do a repair...filthy! Toys, cereal, cat dander, dust rabbits. Probably hadn't moved that couch to clean the hardwood floor since they moved in two years ago.

·
Finish Carpenter
4,999 Posts
....I didn't read most of this post...but I can tell you that I have been in homes where they were never painted in 20-30 years and the house was heated with wood....you want to talk about shadows...every joist, rafter, stud and header were clearly shown as gray shadows on the off white walls....

I have been told its the soot. If they use a fireplace, wood stove or smoke or burn candels or whatever....and they never clean the walls...it will happen again. It is not a building or paint defect....

·
Grand Rapids Remodeling
3,115 Posts
Sooo 2241 posts would take how long? :laughing:
I started back in 09'. Type every day for 8-10 hours. Every post about 2-3 sentences = 2241. :thumbsup:

By the way, I did drop the ball and didn't see that you had already supplied the info on the sun direction. My bad. Like I said, I'm used to pictures. :rolleyes:

61 - 73 of 73 Posts