Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

41 - 60 of 73 Posts

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,937 Posts
The water molecules look like Mickey Mouse.
:laughing::thumbsup:

Merci; mercy!

I have to admit that I didn't really expect a cogent response. I'm accustomed to thinking of molecules as an ever-dancing soup within which the idea of polarity is pretty much on a par with Schroedinger's cat. But within the confines of the OP, your explanation fits the bill quite nicely. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
Have never seen that here in Florida. Is it more of a colder climate thing?

Although we are freezing our arses off right now! :santa:

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
What to Do About Thermal Tracking, Building Air Leaks, & Heat Loss
InspectAPedia® - ShareThis
What to do when thermal tracking stains are identified on building interior surfaces
How to recognize poorly insulated building walls or ceilings and how to pinpoint building air leaks

here's a link to check out
http://inspectapedia.com/

·
Registered
330 Posts
What you are seeing is definitely thermal bridging this happens on every conventionally framed house everywhere.

The fact you can see it with the naked eye is due to the fact that their is dirty air in the house this could be a serious health harassed for the occupants.

This should be checked out by the furnace man today.

It could be from mood enhancements but my guess is the heating system is backing up.

·
Atlanta Remodeling
234 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Any new Ghosting info?

About two years have passed since the OP and I’m hoping someone has new insight.
We built a home about two years ago that has developed ghosting. Not sure it fits any of the discussion or linked information I’ve seen here so far.
• 2 story w/ full basement
• 2 x6 wall construction
• R-19 walls, R-48 ceiling
• Floor penetrations sealed
• High efficiency boiler w/baseboard hot water heat
• Customer with indoor environmental health issues (pre-existing)
• Wood burning fireplace (Yes, I know what you’re thinking!)
• All hardwood floors w/zero VOC finish
• Zero VOC paint
• No candles burning
The ghosting pattern follows the studs in some rooms and not others on inside and outside walls. Rooms on first floor and second floor each have ghosting, but not all rooms on each floor. Seems to exist where there are darker paint colors.
Two really interesting things:
One
The ghost pattern follows the stud, but more accurately follows the pattern you’d expect to see from the drywall adhesive applied to the stud. Appears to start 10” from floor, runs up just short of middle, stops for about 12”, and then continues up to about 10’ from ceiling.
Two
There is a big picture on a wall in the family room that showed ghosting (the wall not the picture), we removed the picture and – no ghosting.
All this makes me think the ion/molecule/electrostatic thing is going on, but I don’t know why or how.
Customer would like us to repaint the house, but we are reluctant to do so without knowing if it will happen again.
Any new info to share? Thanks

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have a customer who thought they had some water damage. I went to check the roof, but when I arrived they showed me the problem on the inside walls.
Every place there is a stud on outside and inside interior walls they have shadows showing the stud outline. I have a pic attached

http://www.contractortalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=27238&stc=1&d=1263141540
Showed my wife the picture...yes, my wife...

She brought up a good point. Looks to be a baby's room. Who burns candles or smokes in a baby's room?

What size drywall was used? If it was wood stud that was wet, I have heard cases where the drywall will actually acclimate in between the studs (the stud bays) where there is no moisture but will not acclimate (or won't acclimate as much) where it is up against the wet framing.

Just my ten pennies.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
My first house had a gravity heater which caused the same issue. Walls, ceiling, carpet, etc. required constant cleaning.

heating-and-cooling-system-basics-ga-2.jpg

·
Registered
11 Posts
My first house had a gravity heater which caused the same issue. Walls, ceiling, carpet, etc. required constant cleaning.
JB, I could understand what you're saying with an old gravity/convection system, but I'm working with a more or less closed system with the radient heat. I suppose there are 'mini' air currents near each radiator and if that is a cause, the ghosting would be mostly on the walls with the heater, or the wall opposite, or some pattern; but not so.

·
Registered
11 Posts
try taking a straight edge (6' level???) and putting it on edge across a few stud bays...are there any indentations in between the studs?
RAJ
I agree with you and the wife about the smoking and candles! (I actually asked the HO about candles - she said "we don't let the kids play with candles in their rooms!"
Anyway the rock lays flat and we have inspected a couple of times with infrared camera which would pick up cold (winter) and moisture. Nothing out of the ordinary discovered.

·
Super Moderator
11,328 Posts
Two
There is a big picture on a wall in the family room that showed ghosting (the wall not the picture), we removed the picture and – no ghosting.
All this makes me think the ion/molecule/electrostatic thing is going on, but I don’t know why or how.
Customer would like us to repaint the house, but we are reluctant to do so without knowing if it will happen again.
Any new info to share? Thanks
If it's not thermal bridging. Could it be that the studs are holding enough moisture in them to keep that area of drywall and paint from drying out and fading as much as the drywall and paint that isn't over a stud?

What brand of primer and paint was used? Is the paint flat or does it have a sheen?

I wonder if an oil based stain blocking primer would solve it?

·
Grand Rapids Remodeling
3,115 Posts
So this is a new home and has nothing to do with the first pic or any of the responses in 10'.

OK.

So how about a picture from the new home?

Is the ghosting a build up of soot, dust, that sort of thing or is it a paint issue of it not fading as much as the bays?

I will say the reason we glue and screw our drywall (lets not start a fight about that again) is full contact is made between stud and rock rather than a single screw... a huge difference. But you say it follows what might be the glue pattern, which leads me to think some thermal bridging is at work here.

A picture is worth all the words you typed so far in this post.

By the way, I like seeing some of the old posters again I remember back in the day. :thumbup:

41 - 60 of 73 Posts