Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

21 - 40 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
They are using one of those portable ionizer "air fresheners" that ionize air molecules. The denser materials are receiving a slight charge and are attracting dirt.

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
Reactions: nEighter

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I have seen similar things with screw heads in wood or metal studs and along baseboards. With the screw heads I could see some sort of static charge. The base problem eludes me.

·
Artisan Carpentry
1,985 Posts
The higher thermal conductivity of the frame members reduces the temperature of the wall surface. The cooler wall surface absorbs thermal energy of adjacent air molecules. The water vapor fraction of the air gas mixture is condensed from gas to liquid due to the reduction in kinetic molecular energy. The polarity of water molecules makes it the universal solvent with opposite ends of the molecules attractive to positive and negative ions of assorted fine particulate matter present in the air. This results in an accretion of dust.

Cheers,

Basswood

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
The higher thermal conductivity of the frame members reduces the temperature of the wall surface. The cooler wall surface absorbs thermal energy of adjacent air molecules. The water vapor fraction of the air gas mixture is condensed from gas to liquid due to the reduction in kinetic molecular energy. The polarity of water molecules makes it the universal solvent with opposite ends of the molecules attractive to positive and negative ions of assorted fine particulate matter present in the air. This results in an accretion of dust.

Cheers,

Basswood
Thank you professor Basswood, for that well thought out and informative post.:thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
10,605 Posts

Cheers,

Basswood
Thats what I was gonna say. Dang you Bass you plagiarized my post! (wow plagiarized is hard to spell!)

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,964 Posts
The polarity of water molecules makes it the universal solvent with opposite ends of the molecules attractive to positive and negative ions of assorted fine particulate matter present in the air.
Professor: How can I tell which end of a molecule I'm looking at?

21 - 40 of 73 Posts