Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Few years back I did some jobs with aluminum siding. So I have a lil bit of experience in that.

Currently, I'm doing a interior paint job for a house remodel. Interior is a simple remodel, fresh paint, new trim and doors. The exterior on the other hand is getting new vinyl siding.

I walked out the other day to goto lunch, and the siders were using a roofing nailer w/ coiled nails to attached the vinyl siding. Not having done vinyl siding, only aluminum, my curiousity got the better of me and I thought I might inquire. (Only because they appeared to be a fly-by-night outfit).

The "dude" told me that this was the best and fastest way to attach new vinyl. I just nodded my head and said "cool, I'll remember that".

So? Is it?

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
This is pretty far from being my speciality but from what I have read siding has slots in it to allow for expansion and contraction and thus the fasteners should not be tight to allow for movement. This was in an article in 'This Old House".

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
The siding nails and roofing nails look very similiar. I suppose a roofing gun could be used because the nails are so similiar, however it is imperative that siding not be fastened tight. Siding should literally be hanging from the nails and be able to slide at least 1/8" in each direction.

I would dare to venture that they are nailing the siding on too tight with the gun. To summarize, if they are very very very careful it can be done. It may be easier to use a hammer thought, that's how our guys do it.

I'm certified for certianteed siding, ashland davis siding, wolverine siding and a few others and when taking the certification tests none had gun nailing in their instructions.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
The nails need to be double hot dipped for Hardie, and yes then a gun is much much better! Ever try hand nailing through the cement?!

The nail heads are also much much smaller because you are face nailing with hardie. You are not face nailing with vinyl.

Follow Hatchet's link!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LoL thx guys.
I figured they were talking out their arshes.
They were nailing the siding tight as can be to the wall.

Oh well, you get what you pay for. At least the interior will look great.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
Although I haven't seen it yet, supposedly there is a gun out there, fairly recent, made especially for vinyl siding. It must leave the nail sticking out about 1/8". I'd still rather hand nail, so I can make the adjustments for 'crooked' walls.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Tom I suppose a 2 man crew could fly with one of these guns. One man holds siding other puts in a few nails, first man loosens nails with traditional hammer.

I dunno I find using the guns for nailing, in anything other than wood on wood is very tricky.

·
Registered
25 Posts
That's definately going to be an ugly job if they nailed it tight, it'll warp and bow like crazy when it gets hot.

If they had a regulator on their compresser, then they could set it so the nails wouldn't sink too deep, but that doesn't always work either, because the O.S.B or whatever type of boarding is on the house isn't the same density everywhere you nail.

As far as I know they haven't invented a nail gun that has the dexterity of the human hand.

Maybe they have a pull out guy who goes behind them and pulls out all of the nails that are sunk too deep.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts