Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading about every post I can here, hoping to learn stuff I can't even think to ask about before I take on more jobs that I have to paint.

One think I have noticed is everyone saying to strain the paint, could someone explain this a little bit.. What do you strain it with, and then just into a new can?

Appreciate the help

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
For small jobs they sell funnels. For larger jobs, they sell socks that will cover a 5 gal. pail. You want the transfer pail totally clean, new is good. A new pail is $3.00, build a few into your quote.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am still on small jobs, I will look for a funnel next time.

Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Wax the insides with a good Carnuba or mold release wax and the old stuff will just peel away at the end of the day. I find it easier to let the buckets go, upside down overnight, and then just peel the film off. If you scratch them, it's over.

·
Painting Contractor
1,176 Posts
We buy our strainers by the case. The one gallon ones work great for the sprayer. They can be bought the same place you buy your paint.

·
Registered
74 Posts
i dont know how many gallons of new paint seem to have alot of trash in them..ive seen alot of trash with ici and some deep base paints. i like the 5 gallon bucket cover strainers that way u can box your paint while straining. plus i favor rolling out of 5 gallon buckets opposed to pans. as for spraying if you happen to use a 209 311 tip somewhere in the small range u will be sorry if u dont strain the paint all the time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The $1 strainer

I have found that Quenn size pany hose from the dollar store make wonderful strainers and they will fit over a 5 gal. bucket

1 - 11 of 11 Posts