Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished up a Trex deck. It's 13" off the ground and wraps around a hot tub. I left a hatch to access the hot tub door for the pump etc. I did this by dropping the joists 1 1/2" directly in front of the tub. Then installed the Trex on 2x4 on the flat.

The install all looks good and functions as expected except the Trex is flared up on both ends, creating a 1/4" toe stubber on each end. Sighting down the hatch while it's removed, it's very clear this is the problem. It makes sense to me I could heat and bend the 4 boards on the hatch to flatten them out. Not sure of it's a worth while endeavour so looking for opinions. The deck is framed and finished otherwise, so I'm past the point of changing how it's done, just want to avoid fasteners holding the hatch down or anything protruding above the surface.

Thanks

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Here's the deck, the hatch is on the visible side of the hot tub. It's the first Trex deck I've done and liked how it came together. It's all Foggy Wharf colour and the border was supposed to be Clam Shell. The hardware store sold me the wrong stuff but I didn't notice until it was all on site. Customers decided they just wanted one colour anyways so it worked out but I'm a bit bummed I didn't get to do the real border effect but they're happy and it keeps their dogs out of the pool area. We finished the railing today and will get the two steps done tomorrow. I'm going to try heating and bending the Trex hatch... Can't hurt I suppose.

Attachments

·
GC/carpenter
40,535 Posts
You can use a propane torch on the back side of the decking. Just be careful.

Mike.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's attached with Kameleon screws on the outside edges and Trex hidden fasteners between the middle. I'll try a torch. Worst case I need to redo the hatch. I've realized now a welded steel frame would be the perfect solution.

·
GC/carpenter
40,535 Posts
Turn the boards upside down and put heavy weights on the very end, then hit it with a torch.

Mike.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The flatten procedure worked great. I used my forced air propane heater thinking it would be better than a direct flame. It didn't take much to get the Trex hot enough to be pliable and it seemed to retain its new shape. Time will tell I suppose but so far the toe stubbing hazard is resolved

1 - 8 of 8 Posts