Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

New to the forum, so let me see if I can get this figured out. I'm doing a remodel of an old home that the cellar was converted into a basement, and the stairwell walls are very out of flat. They are already a little narrow so I am trying to straighten them up with losing as little space as possible.

What concrete product would you use to flat these out? Most of the area is just smoothing out, but some area like the bottom right, there is probably 2 to 3in I need to fill in.

Also, and if I need to start a different thread for this let me know, the home owner wants hard wood on the steps, my thought is to encase the steps with 1/2 ply and fasten it with liquid nail and ramset it, then fasten the hardwood to the ply. Does this sound reasonable?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

·
Have Trowel, Do travel
909 Posts
mapei planitop 12 SR

·
Registered
Brickwork
1,105 Posts
I would get the paint off, use SBR bonding and then render it flat with a sand/lime/cement mix. Needs a few coats to make up that thickness.

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
You could even use drywall compound or Durabond since it's inside.

The problem with adding ply and then hardwood is that your going to change the riser height significantly for the first and last step. Won't pass code, potential trip hazard and potential lawsuit

·
Renaissance Man
6,818 Posts
You could even use drywall compound or Durabond since it's inside.

The problem with adding ply and then hardwood is that your going to change the riser height significantly for the first and last step. Won't pass code, potential trip hazard and potential lawsuit
I think he's talking walls, not risers...Planiitop X will do the trick also. Finish it with a coat of stucco.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts