Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 20' tall block wall on a commercial building that is buckling outward. What's the best way to straighten this thing? If I leave it as it is, fill cores every three feet or so will it be okay? thanks

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, come on, it's only buckling out not more than an inch. Surely there's a solution other than replacing it. That would be seriously major.

·
Vendor
6,347 Posts
First you need to figure out WHY it is buckling, then you need to solve that problem, THEN you need to worry about repair/stabilization.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Is the wall loadbearing or is it just infill between columns and under beams?

A deflection or bowing adds to the bending moment and causes more movement. Since it has bowed that much, it has technically "failed" and is not as strong as when it was built. It will take some forece to bring it back to closer than original construction. Grout by itself does not help much, especially compared to rebar and grout.

It could also be from some humanly applied loads, like mistakes, unanticipated hanging loads or even bumping. In commercial building many strange things happen.

As TS said, there is certainly a cause and you have to determine that to come up with a repair and then corrective action.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Get it plumb and straight before you build a reinforced wall or you just create a more permanent curved wall with lower strength.

Do you have any idea of the cause of the bowing? If not hire an engineer., since it holding up a lot of weight and resisting a lot of wind/suction.

·
The Duke
14,746 Posts
That would be architects.

You don't seem to be taking the advice so I will say it again.

You need an engineer to look at this. Structural design is not your field of work. Get someone qualified who knows what they are doing with structural engineering to come look at it and design the proper fix.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.