Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Professional Tradesman
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lead that came in today that struck me as funny. These were the details. Anyone else think the customer comments were rather odd?

Request Stage: Ready to Hire

Desired Completion Date: Timing is flexible

Covered by Insurance: No

Request is for Commercial Location: No

Consumer Owns Home: Yes

Features that Need Finish Work: Stair system

Number of Rooms: 1

Doors & Windows to be Installed: None

Need Finish Carpeter/Woodworker: No
Comments:
I need to change the shape and slope of a banister wall on the staircase running from the first floor to the second floor. The wall has an irregular shape that needs to be straightened, and a trim piece needs to be attached. A skilled craftsman could complete the work in one afternoon.

·
Pro Painter
2,314 Posts
To me it sounds like a homeowner who thinks he knows how long, but more importantly HOW MUCH it's going to take to do it. This is typical talk from a homeowner who is trying to low-ball you in his own mind and yours at the same time. It's like when they tell me "it shouldn't take an hour or two to paint it" pff! I don't care what it takes to finish the job. I set a price and we go by that or I go my own merry little way. Not to mention it usually takes TWICE what the homeowner thinks it will...

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
"Your right Mr. Customer it might only take me an hour to actually paint it so let's go on your logic and figure a price. We have materials plus 1 hour of painting equals $x.xx Oh! I almost forgot to add an hour for picking up the paint, an hour for setting up sheets and drop cloths so I don't spill anything, an hour to clean up when I am done and an hour to clean up my brushes when I am finished."

LOl Hey guys I agree it should take only one afternoon, if the old wall is torn down and all the materials are on the job site ready and waiting cut to size and all your equipment is magically setup and wating for you.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Great post! Matches Ol'#2's idea that we will paint the exterior of the house in a weekend and if we don't like the color, change it the following weekend. She needs to be a bit more involved.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Longacre said:
Nope....sounds like a typical homeowners idea of how long something would take to me :)
Yeah I agree they think they know the time it takes. I had a customer in a million dollar house call me for a quote to pressure was a 600 sq ft pool deck (Cool Deck) and another 800 sq ft of driveway. They said should only take you a few hours. I bid 700 bucks and he came back saying he will only pay 275.00!!!! I about burst out laughing at the guy but ended up saying if you can find one guy to pressure wash 1400 sq ft for 275.00 I would love to meet this guy. Coincidently the project has never been pressure washed....Hmmmm I wonder why? LOL :Thumbs:

·
Repair/Remodeling Tech.
1,645 Posts
onhand wrote:
I bid 700 bucks and he came back saying he will only pay 275.00!!!! I about burst out laughing at the guy
about??????

I would have burst out laughing at him....right in his face too...and loud....but then again i can be an a$$ if i wanna be :cheesygri

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
onhand said:
. Coincidently the project has never been pressure washed....
Time to call the guy back and ask for his business.

"I drove by the other day and noticed that your deck and drive way were never washed. Mr. Customer I am still interested in being your power washer. Should I schedule the work for Tuesday or Wednesday of next week?"

·
Registered
114 Posts
when i was first getting started, i bid an 8x12 deck for $1000 labor. then he never answers his phone. come to find out he hired some teenage flunkies for $300. now the funny part: 2 weeks his deck collapses under him, breaking both legs and his left arm. he then calls me for a bid on a new deck! i told him $3500 assuming i was way over what this guy would pay.he asked why so much higher this time. i actually told the guy it was because he'd been such a d**k before. not only did he hire me, i got him to sign a liability waiver for my insurance due to his recent "medical issues"!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts