Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
I've had Straight Talk for about 2 yrs. Its great for me. $48 month 2 gb. All else unlimited. I'm on the AT&T network. I have a Galaxy S2. You will be on AT&T, Verizon or T-Mobile depending on how you buy.

I suggest you bring your own phone - get one from a reputable dealer on Ebay - Chubbies Tech.....very high satisfaction.

Wallmart / Straight Talk now activates BYOD CDMA on Verizon for $45 month. Search it out.

If you're not a big FB, YT 2 gb will be plenty and ST will work well.

All you need to know is here - this is the top Telco forum
http://www.howardforums.com/forumdisplay.php/551-Straight-Talk

Do the math. BYOD + ST over a year or two compared to the top tier - you'll save a good bit of money.

Also - just a matter of time before ST has 4G LTE - check on Howard Forums about getting a 4G LTE phone now (will it activate) or just a 3G good for a year or so when you may want to upgrade ?

Fill in your location on your profile ?

·
Registered
974 Posts
I've had ST for over two years now and its great as far as I'm concerned. Depends on what you want. I love the $45/mo, where I was pay $150+. But, I don't need or want a $700 - $800 I phone. I have a $99 Blackberry, which works just fine for me. All I want is to be able to talk on the dam phone, send a text or two, and get on the internet to check the weather if necessary.

Most important thing with ST is to research and identify where you are going to be using the phone the most, as ST uses other peoples towers. For instance Verizon, At&t, and T-mobile as previously mentioned. You will want to select the phone and "sub-carrier" that coincides with where you are going to use the phone the most. Roaming sometimes is not an option.
If you are going to travel much, I would not go with ST.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
cdkyle said:
I've had ST for over two years now and its great as far as I'm concerned. Depends on what you want. I love the $45/mo, where I was pay $150+. But, I don't need or want a $700 - $800 I phone. I have a $99 Blackberry, which works just fine for me. All I want is to be able to talk on the dam phone, send a text or two, and get on the internet to check the weather if necessary. Most important thing with ST is to research and identify where you are going to be using the phone the most, as ST uses other peoples towers. For instance Verizon, At&t, and T-mobile as previously mentioned. You will want to select the phone and "sub-carrier" that coincides with where you are going to use the phone the most. Roaming sometimes is not an option. If you are going to travel much, I would not go with ST.
We was warned about the coverage issue with ST. We go the beach a lot and heard its awful outside of your standard area. That's the reason we changed from ntelos to verizon was because of their poor coverage outside this area on sprints ****y network. Was also stuck on 3G with ntelos even on their own towers.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Ive used straight talk for a year. I made sure I got verizon coverage only cause that got a little better coverage than verizon in my house. I used the byop so I could use my galaxy. My phone is not 4g but get almost 3-4 meg dl speed.
I also bought a galaxy tab tablet & used a straight talk sim (at&t coverage) in it for business.
I use a data tracker to keep track of my data and make sure not to go over 100-150mb per day otherwise they cut me to 2g speed until the end of the month. If you go with ST I reccommend going byop instead of their phones, the basic ones feel like a tracfone.
Overall, not bad when me and my wife each have a galaxy smart phone for $45x2 per month.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Watch out for sprint & tmobile ST phones, they dont always have good coverage. As for if you want verizon vs at&t, the model number will usually indicate the service provider. For instance, LG 220-c is a cdma, & a samsung i897-g is gsm.
Sprint service is wcdma.
Straight talk is owned by tracfone as well as net10 which also costs $45 per month when using auto-fill

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Sprint is the weakest network. You can get ST and be on Verizon or ATT and most everywhere it will do well. Every network has its gaps.

Seems like Sprint is popular in Southside...I have friends in Reidsville and up your way that have it and rave about it ?

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
We Fix Houses said:
BC - that's because you were on Sprint which is the weakest network. You can get ST and be on Verizon. Seems like Sprint is popular in Southside...I have friends in Reidsville and up your way that have it and rave about it ?
The problem with ST and verizon is your stuck on their 3G towers. I can use both with verizon. I use the net a lot too. At our beach house we have piss poor verizon 3G coverage but great 4G. You can switch between the 2 on verizon and watch your signal change.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Let me say that on Howard Forms for the last year or two - there's an Ebay refill thread for cheap refills.

We've been getting refills for $39 mo and $108 for 3 months - no tax. But as of a couple of weeks ago its been found out and clamped down on by ST.

Maybe they will come back.

·
Registered
41 Posts
wfh, I have done the same thing, 39.99 tax free was a good deal. I buy from ebay seller toplssmobile which is now $47 which is still cheaper than walmart after tax.
Watch out for chinese sellers, I got scammed on one where I paid for 3mo but never got it. It was my word against theirs so paypal just gave me a courtesy credit refund after contacting ebay

1 - 17 of 17 Posts