Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a vent hood thats asks for a 15 amp circut but the only ony that i have acces to is a 20 amp is that going to be a problem?

thanx

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
Does the manufacturer's label or instruction sheet say "15 amp circuit" or does is say "minimum 15 amp circuit". There's a big difference. If it says minimum some where, then you're okay with the 20 amp protected circuit. If it says 15 amp only, then that is what you must use. You see, manufacturers lables and instruction sheets are enforcable by the inspector, and the installing electrician is also bound by them. See NEC §110.3(B)

110.3 Examination, Identification, Installation, and Use of Equipment.

(B) Installation and Use.
Listed or labeled equipment shall be installed and used in accordance with any instructions included in the listing or labeling.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for replying heres what it says the hood is connected to a 110-120vAC lighting circuit 15 amp in the breaker box .

·
Electrical Contractor
2,411 Posts
I think you misunderstood Marc's post.
Does it say:
"...must be connected to a 15 amp circuit"
"...should be connected to a 15 amp circuit"
, or
"connected to a 15 amp minimum circuit"

You wrote "the hood is connected to a 110-120vAC lighting circuit 15 amp in the breaker box" .

This may be a moot point. I would assume the 20 amp circuits you have available are the kitchen counter circuits. You CANNOT install the hood connected to any kitchen receptacle circuits.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thats what the instructions sheet says word for word. the breaker i have is not in the kitchen.its right below in the basement with only 2 receptacles on it.

·
Electrical Contractor
2,411 Posts
My apologies then. I wonder if this is another case of Chinese translation? Some of them are pretty funny.

In that case, as long as these recptacles are not in the kitchen, have at it. I see no problem doing it this way. Those instructions are pretty vague and do not say "only" a 15 amp circuit. I cannot see any reason to specifically require a 15 amp lighting circuit.

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
Krowbar... just out of curiosity, what brand is this vent hood? I'd say a good 3/4 of all vent hoods I install are Broan or NuTone (same thing), and their instructions read well. I agree with Speedy that this is probably a bad Chinese to English translation. I was wiring up a piece of equipment the other day who's instructions cautioned the installer to wear mittens! I think they meant gloves. Mittens are terribly hard to work in.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts