Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I'm currently trying to contact different disaster relief companies about doing storm damage clean up / repair work. Is anyone familiar with the process or red tape involved with getting into this "click" or generally have any advice on getting work after a hurricane. Last year I was behind the 8 ball for Gustav and Ike and I'm trying to get a jump on this year.

Thanks,

TJ

And I do heavy equipment work so I'm looking mostly at hauling debris among other things.

·
Registered
595 Posts
You can find out who the defense contracts from Fema are going to by digging around on the internet. One of the 500 million dollar debris contracts from Katrina went to a large defense contractor out of Dolphan, Alabama. Can't remember their name off-hand, but you could contact them through their website. The problem you run into with this type of work is figuring out how many tiers down you are being subcontracted. The first, second, and even third tier subs can make incredible money. I know of roofers who were blue tarping in Texas in Rita for companies and they were the ninth guy on the list getting a check....actually they never got theirs. Just be careful. It's a cutthroat game and you are dealing with Gov't money so be ready for the wait and the BS.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What you are asking about is how to become and Emergency Operations Contractor with FEMA and the Army Corps. of Engineers.

After a storm, they bring in contractors to do work.

I have done this for years know. It is very dangerous for a small contractor or beginner to get into this field.

The danger comes in finding a contractor that will pay you for what you have done. I have seen many, many contractors run home with their tail between their legs after trying to get into this field.

You have to make sure you know who you are dealing with and at what level you are coming in. It is very common for first timers to get screwed either by contractors that don’t pay or by there not knowing the extent of what is involved until it is to late.

It can be profitable. However, you can lose your but also if you don’t know what you are doing.

The only advice I can give you is to try and find one of these reputable contractor’s and work for them as a labor sub a few times and learn the ropes by asking questions and making contacts.

It doesn’t matter at what level you come in at, you just need to know who you are dealing with. That’s the bottom line with any area of the construction business.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts