Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I am in the center of a Federal Disaster Area (Frances hit 2 miles down the road from my house) I thought that an update was in order.
We returned a few days ago to find our home still standing, minus a bunch of shingles and landscaping by Los Alamos. Pool enclosure was a bunch of twisted metal and screening, fencing was down as were almost all trees.
Power was restored yesterday by crews from all over the country, I even saw a lot of trucks from Hydro Quebec, God bless them all! Phone systems followed soon thereafter. I'm on a well, so water came along with the power. No more hauling water in buckets from the pool.
Yesterday the Ins. Co. called and said that we could speed things up by getting our own estimates. No problem says the village idiot and started calling. Some businesses just quit answering the phones, voice mailboxes are full. I stopped by an aluminum company that I have done business with for over 20 yrs. and was told that it would be 26 weeks for a screen enclosure if I got on the list today. Not a single roofing company returned my call. Two fencing companies called and told me that it would be weeks before they could even give me an estimate.
Damaged or missing roofs are currently estimated at 36 - 40 thousand. Can our local contractors handle this load? Doubtful.

·
Back from the dead...
6,646 Posts
Yeah Teetor, just got back from Orlando today. Wasn't storm chasing, but attending NGPP convention. Saw alot of damage along the drive, got relatives up in Lake City that are under a couple feet of water, and still no power. Also rode out a nasty tornado in southern GA on last Monday night, remnants of the hurricane. The hotel I stayed in also housed about 1700 tree trimmers from all along the east coast. The ones I talked to were from Penn. Them guys were putting in 17 hours days.

Good luck, hope it all comes out for ya, and keep an eye out for Ivan.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Here's wishing you all the storm chasers it takes to rebuild. Glad it wasn't worse.

Don

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Grumpy, I count 44 roofing contractors covering Palm Beach, Martin and St. Lucie counties. Most are mom & pop operations, the larger ones already are already contracted to new construction. Over these three counties there are 200 - 300 thousand roofs that need some type of repair, the math is easy.
If it was your roof how long would you wait for a local contractor? 2 yrs? 5?

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
If it was my roof I wouldn't allow an out of state contractor to work on it.

I asked you this before and you never answered. Who is going to honor the warranty when the storm chaser is in another state chasing another storm? Chances are likley his phone number would have already changed to his new area code.

Have you not read the press release I posted? This is the reputation of storm chasers for a reason.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The State of Florida is issuing a special license for out of state contractors. With this I would allow them to do my roof, as it is I will probably end up doing it myself. I am not willing to wait 26+ weeks for a local company that is in a rush. Expect a lot of questions as I haven't done a roof in 30 yrs.
My first is that I saw a local contractor putting Grace over felt and this was before our little storm. My understanding was that Grace replaces felt. The building was still under construction and the breeze got under the felt and peeled off all of the Grace with it. My understanding is that the Grace adheres to the sheathing and eliminates the need for felt altogether.
I'm looking for advise here, I may be a roofer soon just to save my own a$$.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Your right Grace should be placed direct to the wood. We've put felt ONTOP of grace a couple times at request of the home owner, no harm done, just wasted $. That roof you spoke of will never pass inspection.

In my area grace, or other ice shield, is typically installed 3'. This depends on the size of the overhangs and type of attic. If the overhand is larger than 2' we must put 6' of ice shield. The point is to pass the "warm wall" at least 1' 6". This is for ice backup reasons, which you don't have much of. Ice shield is typically installed at the drip overhangs/gutter lines and at the valleys. We also install it at any roof to wall such as a dormer or split level home. We also install it around chimneys and skylights. These are all problem areas. We seldom do a roof with 100% ice shield and zero felt. There is a high upcharge for very little benefit in most cases.

Although our opinions on storm chasers vary, I still like you as a person so I am willing to offer any advice I can to help you out of this tough situation. If you send me some pictures I can work up my own scope of work for you. Step by step how it should be done.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry Grumpy, kinda been out of touch for a while...just got whacked again, Jeanne this time. Had power for 3 whole days, cable has been down since the 4th, so has the phone and many cell towers. All of the cells are tremendously overworked. May not have power for another 2-3 weeks.
Roof was bad from Frances, much worse from Jeanne. I'll be in touch, have to go patch leaks now.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
On average I get whacked about every 10 yrs. NJ gets cold every year. I'll take my chances here.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Teetor, glad to see your alright. I would have checked on you sooner, but I haven't had much time to sleep. Glad to hear that you and the new Mrs. are alright.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks, Board.
Looks like I'm back in business, power has been on for 3 days now and the cable guy just ran me a new line out to the creosote pole this morning so I dont have to roam to get net access.
Grumpy, I'll be real serious about this roof when the checks get here, I haven't even seen the ins. adjuster yet, guess they're all busy too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts