Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys how do you store your ratchet straps and ropes and stuff in your vehicle so they are easy to use? I know every time I go to use mine they are like spagetti!

I have a story to go along with this:laughing: I have just been throwing mine on the passenger floor of my truck. Well I was working late last night in the dark and one of the straps must have fallen out the door, but the ratchet part stayed in the truck. Well when I backed out of the HO's driveway my front tire ran over the strap and tried to pull the ratchet part out the door. It ended up bending out the front fender bottom a little and can openered the door bottom. I stopped as soon as I heard the noise but it was to late. I havent even made the third freakin payment on the truck yet!:wallbash:

Dave

·
David Festa
2,561 Posts
bunji balls

I put boat cleats on my system one racks so I can use ropes to tie down material and ladders
I store my ropes, about 3’ long, on my tire wrench at the back of my ford van
Go to E-bay and buy some “bunji” to wrap up your straps

·
Al Smith
2,392 Posts
I keep mine tangled up in knots on the passenger side floor of my pickup and spend 10 minutes untangling them if i decide to use them. Most of the time i just use romex cable and give the wire a quick two twists. Yeah I know its illegal in NJ. And one guy i know who copied me got ticketed up by route 80 :laughing:.

fester take your 3 feet of rope and fold it in half so its 18 inches and simply loop it through one of the holes in your racks and feed the tail through the end of the rope loop. for longer rope fold it in half twice. that's what I do with the array of rope scraps i have on my racks.

LOL you edited your post! You keep them exactly the same place i keep them.:laughing:

·
Registered
380 Posts
I try to wrap them up after each use but too often they end up as the typical spaghetti. I do keep a small bucket in the back that I toss them into so they don't tear the side of my door off. That sucks about the truck DK :sad:

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys

Aw, yup we think alike:laughing: I have always wanted to use romex, it seems so freakin easy. Like you said though I too know a guy that got a ticket, they are cracking down like crazy around here on that stuff!

The funny thing is I used to keep them in a bucket a long while ago, but I needed the bucket on a job and they haven't been put back since:laughing:

BC, I knew thats what you would post:laughing:

I like those ball bungees they would deffinetly keep them seperated now I just have to train myself to use them:laughing:

Dave

Dave

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Thanks guys

Aw, yup we think alike:laughing: I have always wanted to use romex, it seems so freakin easy. Like you said though I too know a guy that got a ticket, they are cracking down like crazy around here on that stuff!

The funny thing is I used to keep them in a bucket a long while ago, but I needed the bucket on a job and they haven't been put back since:laughing:

I like those ball bungees they would deffinetly keep them seperated now I just have to train myself to use them:laughing:

Dave

Dave

You saying im anal? :censored:

perhaps a little :thumbsup:

·
Al Smith
2,392 Posts
Thanks guys

Dave

Dave
On the Romex what I have been doing now is tucking the tail ends under whatever i have tied down so you really cannot tell from behind whats holding my brake and ladders on my racks. the romex though illegal stays snug. wont work itself loose. is quick. Has memory so you can use the same deformed piece on the equipment. And is not effected by ice and snow. If they see 2 feet of romex tail hanging off whatever you have tied down, yes you are asking to be pulled over. If I got ticketed and was forced to use ratchet tie downs I would actually use wire and ratcheting tie downs both. I have followed that guy i mentioned from behind and can see his siding brake sliding left and right. a lot of guys (him) just don't know how to tie **** down. you not only have to consider front to back acceleration and braking movement but side to side movement.

·
Working
4,127 Posts
I roll them up and put them in hard plastic index card holders from wally world holds 2 per box. I can snap a pic if you want. Also GRK screw boxes work ok but I loose the lids.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No No it wasn't that reason:whistling:laughing: I needed something to put a small pile of garbage in.
I know what you mean about people not tieing stuff down! I just saw a guy the other day whose ladders were sliding from side to side on his rack, needless to say I passed him up:laughing:

Cole, I think I know exactly the card holders you are talking about, thats a good idea. I bet I could stack a couple of those in a small bucket too.

I've acctually been using those cam straps for stuff like ladders or light stuff. They seem to work pretty good and are relativly quick too. You just pull to tighten them and they have teeth that hold the strap until you release it.

Dave

·
Registered
330 Posts
I use a 1 gal. can left over from a deck preservative job, holds about half dozen ratchet straps, a couple cam straps, a red flag and a bungee to hold the flag.
I usually wrap them up before I return them to the bucket.

What this dose is makes it look like I'm busy but what I'm really doing is thinking a little bit about my next steps in the project sort of like sweeping

1 - 20 of 44 Posts