Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im planning to pour 4 concrete footings blocks for an 8'x20' storage container. The only support these containers need is on the corners. They weigh about 5000lbs. What size of footing would be required to adequately support these containers?

·
Super Moderator
24,297 Posts
How much of what kind of stuff you planning putting in there?

You in a freeze thaw climate?

·
Project Superintendent
2,525 Posts
I would get some 20" sonotube. Excavate to 8" below frost line or competent bearing,(something that you can't easily push a #4 rebar into.) whichever is deeper. Then take that #4 that you just probed the bottom of the footing with along with some #3 x16" daimeter rings and make a rebar cage for each footing.

Or you could just scrape off the sod and throw down some 4" solids. :laughing:

Why so concerned about a 20" conex? Is this a permanent installation?

·
GC/carpenter
GC/Carpenter
42,641 Posts
If theses are job trailers don't worry about it, the supers don't need their desks level, they don't use them anyway.

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
6,640 Posts
How much of what kind of stuff you planning putting in there?

You in a freeze thaw climate?
With it being Montana , we have more then a freeze thaw climate, Not sure just where the op is in the state, but where I am at it can go from -20/30 to + 40/50 over night. :thumbup:

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Do not over engineer it. The guys who said put stone down had a good idea. I have all my conexs up on rail road ties with stone underneath.

·
Project Superintendent
2,525 Posts
Sometimes I don't understand when someone asks a question and we give him all this sage advise, and get no response.:rolleyes:

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
I would get some 20" sonotube. Excavate to 8" below frost line or competent bearing,(something that you can't easily push a #4 rebar into.) whichever is deeper. Then take that #4 that you just probed the bottom of the footing with along with some #3 x16" daimeter rings and make a rebar cage for each footing.

Or you could just scrape off the sod and throw down some 4" solids. :laughing:

Why so concerned about a 20" conex? Is this a permanent installation?
I wonder who the commercial guy is :laughing:

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
My little town has tried to stop the infiltration of containers by requiring them have foundations and meet codes as an out building

·
Project Superintendent
2,525 Posts
My little town has tried to stop the infiltration of containers by requiring them have foundations and meet codes as an out building
Good for them. I get tired of looking at those things on the job, don't want to see 'em around the house when I get home. :no:

·
Project Superintendent
2,525 Posts
Of course you know that we can blame the trade deficit for our over abundance of shipping containers. China keeps shipping stuff over here to WalMart, and we got nothing much to ship back. It doesn't pay to ship empty containers back to China, so many of them stay here. Or so I've been told.

·
GC/carpenter
GC/Carpenter
42,641 Posts
Randy Bush said:
Another reason they maybe doing this is once on a foundation they can be taxed, at least it is that way here.
It's always about revenue. We don't call it "tax" anymore.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts