Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im planning to pour 4 concrete footings blocks for an 8'x20' storage container. The only support these containers need is on the corners. They weigh about 5000lbs. What size of footing would be required to adequately support these containers?

·
Project Superintendent
2,549 Posts
I would get some 20" sonotube. Excavate to 8" below frost line or competent bearing,(something that you can't easily push a #4 rebar into.) whichever is deeper. Then take that #4 that you just probed the bottom of the footing with along with some #3 x16" daimeter rings and make a rebar cage for each footing.

Or you could just scrape off the sod and throw down some 4" solids. :laughing:

Why so concerned about a 20" conex? Is this a permanent installation?

·
stacker of sticks
8,974 Posts
I would get some 20" sonotube. Excavate to 8" below frost line or competent bearing,(something that you can't easily push a #4 rebar into.) whichever is deeper. Then take that #4 that you just probed the bottom of the footing with along with some #3 x16" daimeter rings and make a rebar cage for each footing.

Or you could just scrape off the sod and throw down some 4" solids. :laughing:

Why so concerned about a 20" conex? Is this a permanent installation?
I wonder who the commercial guy is :laughing:

·
Project Superintendent
2,549 Posts
Of course you know that we can blame the trade deficit for our over abundance of shipping containers. China keeps shipping stuff over here to WalMart, and we got nothing much to ship back. It doesn't pay to ship empty containers back to China, so many of them stay here. Or so I've been told.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.