Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who are on board to stop the ILLEGAL immigration to this country here's where you can spend all of 30 seconds to sign a petition which will be delivered to the president.

http://www.reformus.org/

They have 450,000 votes now, and are shooting for 1 million.

Not trying to talk anyone into anything, - - just throwing this out there for those who may be unaware this petition even exists.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You make an excellent point, - - and I completely agree with you, - - but for the sake of priority, - - I'll shoulder the risk.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Kind of somehow reminds me of a time about 20 years back, - - I was out in the ocean with a buddy in Daytona Beach, FLA., - - and a guy out a little farther than we were is flailing his arms and yelling that he's drowning, - - I yell to my buddy "Phil, let's go, the guy's drowning", - - and I swim out there to help, - - when I get out there I realize you can actually STAND on the bottom, - - much to the guy's embarrassment, - - meantime I look for this guy Phil, - - and he's still back there where we were, - - I swim back and ask how he could just stand there and not help and watch a guy drown, - - he replies "it just didn't seem convenient at the time"!! :confused:

·
Banned
139 Posts
Tom,
Why stop at the illegals? Our borders should be closed to all immigrants. There's no shortage of workers in this country; just a shortage of workers willing to work for sub standard wages.

·
Painting Contractor
1,176 Posts
devils advocate...

rjordan392 said:
Tom,
Why stop at the illegals? Our borders should be closed to all immigrants. There's no shortage of workers in this country; just a shortage of workers willing to work for sub standard wages.

Yea... I'm not going to wash the dishes or pick the fruit for $3 an hour... are you?

Uh oh... this may get out of hand... ;)

·
Registered
199 Posts
Living is some of the most productive farm land in the the good ole USA (Oregon) , I can tell you even hand berry pickers are making OVER $100 a day for an 8 hour shift.
The farmers tell me that California, Central Valley area, the pay is about the same, but most of the workers are lucky to get more than two or three days of work. Only 2% of the illegals in this country are working on farms. And for the record, I too would run, jump, swim or sneak into this nation for a chance at a decent life. With that said, we need to close our borders and get serious about protecting this nation.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
rjordan392 said:
Tom,
That very well may be a whole 'nother issue, - - but I feel right now the 'Illegals' are the bulk of the immediate problem.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Humble Abode said:
Yea... I'm not going to wash the dishes or pick the fruit for $3 an hour... are you?

Uh oh... this may get out of hand... ;)
No real need to get out of hand, - - like I say, - - I'm not trying to sway or convince anyone of anything, - - just promoting awareness.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
shopdust said:
And for the record, I too would run, jump, swim or sneak into this nation for a chance at a decent life. With that said, we need to close our borders and get serious about protecting this nation.
I completely agree.

·
"Buy Quality, Cry Once"
726 Posts
NEWS FLASH: Our govt. and for the most part our citizens dont give a rats azz about illegal immigration, just like they dont care that our rights as American citizens are slowly but surely being abolished.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
donb1959 said:
NEWS FLASH: Our govt. and for the most part our citizens dont give a rats azz about illegal immigration, just like they dont care that our rights as American citizens are slowly but surely being abolished.
I couldn't agree more, Don, - - just trying to do my little part. ;)

·
Banned
139 Posts
Tom R said:
That very well may be a whole 'nother issue, - - but I feel right now the 'Illegals' are the bulk of the immediate problem.
Tom,
The immigration problem is the fault of the legislators who will not act strong enough to make sure our borders have sufficient personnel and equipment to stop illegal immigration. This is just part of a lot of what's wrong in this country. The Free Trade acts with Mexico and now South America and the inbalance of trade with other nations is the real heart of this lands problems.

Are you aware that at this very moment, there are companys that are telling their employee's to train their replacements or they will suffer the loss of severance pay. Guess where some of these replacements are from: India of course. They are not immigrants but guests working on a card issued by our government which can lead to citizenship. In the mean time, their salaries are not taxed. The jobs being taken over are mostly very high tech. I wonder how long it will take before we see the trades being taken over not by illegals, but by the guests of our government.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Interesting stuff, rjordan, and much appreciated. I in no way claim to be any kind of authority on the matter, - - but I do know one of the objectives of the petition is to get a bill introduced, - - causing politicians to cast their vote one way or the other, - - and therefore allowing the voters to judge them on that premise.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Who here is not an immigrant? I'm part Lakota, Blackfeet and Cherokee, supposedly they migrated across the Bering Strait about 13,000 yrs. ago. New findings are suggesting maybe 30,000 yrs. ago, but still immigrants.
Where do we start and where do we stop? This nation is built upon immigrants, from the Spanish (St. Augastine, FL), the French (New Orleans, LA), the English (Plymouth, MA), Jamestown, the chinese influx, Irish, Italians, Germans, Jews, Greeks, if I left anyone out, I'm sorry.

This is what built this nation, if that concept puts us in risk, we have to deal with it as Americans. Closing our borders is nearly impossible (Stalag Amerika), not to mention expensive. Let's hear some constructive measures.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Agreed, - - so let's re-visit the title of this thread, - - STOP 'Illegal' Immigration.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Not looking to 'close' borders, - - looking more to 'guard', 'protect', and 'control' the borders.

·
Painting Contractor
1,176 Posts
Tom R said:
STOP 'Illegal' Immigration.
I hear where your coming from Tom and I agree with you on a fundamental basis 100%.

But!

Stoping ilegel immigration is impossible. Nearly all of the corporations in America, including a lot of contracting companies, benifit from illigel immigration and cheap labor. All of the major corporations in America from Starbucks to GM to Time Warner and Disney profit from cheap labor. When you consider the fact these corporations are the ones pulling the strings of all of our lawmakers (funding their campaigns and through fundraising dinners) in this country it isn't a far stretch to beleive that those same lawmakers have a vested interest in not curbing illegel imigration. Otherwise real action to secure our borders would have been taken by now... it isn't as if we don't have the money or resources.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts