Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there
Can anyone explain to me why these pillars i have constructed have all split down one corner? They were heavily constructed with 2x4s, 3/8 in ply, wrapped in tar paper, metal lath and stones put on with a pre mixed stone veneer mortar product. These cracks appeared a couple of months after completion and before any freezing temps:(
I've attached a picture.
Looking forward to hearing your feedback
Thanks alot
Oh and these are bearing no load. steel post runs through the middle.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you very much for the reply. This definitely could be the cause, however, assuming they were sealed very well and the post were wrapped heavily with a moisture barrier do you think heat could have done this? I figured enough could escape up the hollow pillars. They ARE facing south. Would weeper holes have helped? Didn't think they were necessary. . . . and it happened so fast?
I really appreciate your advice
Thanks

·
Banned
3,075 Posts
I had the exact same thing happen to me a few years ago....same stone too..I think. Mine went within a couple months. Fall.....heavy rains, then a quick freeze.

It had to be moisture in the posts.

One deck was 15 year old 6x6's.....one was new 6x6's.......same house, same result.
I did everything to try and stop it.....even flashed above the capstones
Also...the "L's" locking the corners didn't help I bet.....no where to give like a joint.

I figured out a way (I thought) I was going to fix them, but my clients were so cool that I didn't have to.
The pillars are mostly obscured from a close view by landscaping, so I just color-matched-sanded caulked them.

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
I doubt I did, JBM, can you explain why that would be a problem if the lathe was fastened securely on both ends? Thanks
Well if you don't lap the lathe you will have a seam that could crack. It will most definitely crack were it just stucco . Maybe it will maybe it won't with the thin stones.

I thought this was pretty common know how?

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
I've seen that same exact thing here many, many times. Usually occurs from OSB getting wet, and swelling to twice it's size. This is a great example why every mason should just run these up over CMU backing..........
I agree. Faster and easier to use some chimney block as your base and just lick and stick the stone on.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.