Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Framed a chase for fireplace and son installed 1/2" drywall over it. Wondering if install of 1/4" Hardibacker over it is recommended or if drywall should be torn down and 1/2" Hardibacker or Durock should be applied before installing stone veneer.

Also, interior of chase is lined with 1/4" Durock. Planned on taping seams with mesh tape and thinset. Fireplace is propane fired 40k output with 4/6" concentric venting. Clearance between vent pipe and interior surfaces minimum of 10" all around. Someone I spoke to said 5/8" firecode sheetrock is often used. I'm guessing the format I described is fine in terms of fire protection, but seeking comments from others knowledgable about this type of thing. Thanks

·
Registered
570 Posts
Check your code. They don’t do Hardi in Tx. w/chase bare on inside couple inches clearance. With propane it shouldn’t be any problem

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
6,133 Posts
Seems like all the new builds I am around here they get Dura rock around the gas fireplaces before the rock is put on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Veneer - Fireplace

Randy...
do you see anything installed interior to the chase over the framing? Thanks

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
Randy...
do you see anything installed interior to the chase over the framing? Thanks
They require fire Blocking so wether you do that with sheets of drywall or 2x blocking something has to be done. Fireplace or no fireplace. I line mine with drywall, sides and top.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts