Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Custom Stone
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice work! I especially like the ones going into water.
The first three or four steps go under in the spring when the lake comes up. The slabs that go under are all very hefty. 1/2 ton plus. There's a big jetty that protects them for the south so the ice doesn't pulverize them when it breaks up.

·
Custom Stone
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Really like them all ! Especially like the "crisp" look of the first and last photos !:thumbsup:
Thanks,

Those are both stairs made from Vt's world famous Barre granite.

We have a lot of cool native rocks here for such a small state. The Champlain Valley is all ancient sea bed, which holds my favorite rocks, limestones dolostones sandstones.
There was a continental collision here so we have metamorphic rock, marble, gneiss and schists which range from black to lime green and bright blue.
There are also veins of talc and serpentine in the mountains, and of course, the even white and black speckled granite.
The whole state is strewn with glacial erratics, rounded boulders of all size and color mostly granite. Indecently the tops of our mountains were carried off by the same glaciers and deposited to help from what is now Long Island.

Sorry about going off. Home with the flu and bored. Here's a picture of the big granite quarry and a glacial erratic dubbed the "Green Mountain Giant" with some guy in front of it. It is estimated to weigh 3400 tons.

Attachments

·
handyman
41 Posts
Very nice ! If I could as a question . I came into some granite slabs about 10 years ago
and wanted to make a semi circular walkway into my backyard .
(Like pic's 1 and 4) Sand after about 6'' of topsoil .
My thought is to dig down about 6 to 8'' , stone dust , compact , set the 1st step
and work my way up .
My concern is the edge where the stone dust and sand meet could wash out over time .
Maybe Im just overthinking again !

·
handyman
41 Posts
PS. My wife is threating to put them on craigslist ! They have been sitting at the end
of our driveway this whole time !

·
Custom Stone
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Very nice ! If I could as a question . I came into some granite slabs about 10 years ago
and wanted to make a semi circular walkway into my backyard .
(Like pic's 1 and 4) Sand after about 6'' of topsoil .
My thought is to dig down about 6 to 8'' , stone dust , compact , set the 1st step
and work my way up .
My concern is the edge where the stone dust and sand meet could wash out over time .
Maybe Im just overthinking again !
When you do your prep, dig terraces in to the bank. Try to avoid digging a slope, the best you can in sand anyway. Fill behind the first step with chunkier stuff than dust and compact the piss out of it. I use what they call plant mix. It has 3/4" aggregate down to dust. Bring the fill behind the step up a slight bit higher than the surface(tread) of the lower step. That way you will have a slight forward pitch to your stairs to shed water.
If you're going for a curve you'll need to cock each proceeding step a bit to turn the path. Make sure that each slab sits on the one below it fully across the face(riser). I'm not a big fan of setting heavy rocks on sand. I think sand likes to get squished out more than crushed stone and your steps might start to sink. But if that what you got, then a layer of a quality fabric between the sand and the crushed stone should help a lot.
I'm not sure if that helps you out any, but your own back yard is a better place to experiment then a job site for sure. :thumbsup:
Of course your wife might not think so.:whistling

1 - 10 of 10 Posts