Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ill be starting this chimney in the next few days and am scouting some stone right now.

This tall skinny one is going to be on the left and right of the 42"x40" rumford opening. Its 8" thick so im hoping I can cut it in half and get 2 pieces that somewhat match.

I will be putting a stone across out of something like these

The veneer will be out of one of these 2. Im thinking the one on the left.

Ill post some progress picture as I get them.

·
Nouveau Eccentric
2,097 Posts
I'll be watching too.
I have always liked the stone up there. Would love to work with it one day.

Wife's up your neck, for a long weekend, near Shirley.

D.

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I lived in Shirley for quite a few years. I'm in the next town over now a days.

I'll take a granite over a fieldstone any day.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts

I hear you loud and clear on that! I refuse to do any field stone. The stuff around here is almost perfectly round ! It is like trying to lay bowling balls.:laughing:

·
Nouveau Eccentric
2,097 Posts
Yeah, I was talking about the granite.

I hear you loud and clear on that! I refuse to do any field stone. The stuff around here is almost perfectly round ! It is like trying to lay bowling balls.:laughing:
I love working fieldstone, ours is a bit more angular, shale and argillite, and sandstone, however we do have massive glacier deposits of your "bowling balls", just 10-15 minutes up the road.

I always cringe when asked to build a dry laid fence with it.

D.

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Set this today.

Made some templates to keep the firebox panels square while I laid them out.

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I ended up solo for a couple days, setting 13x18's alone. didnt know it could be done, but ya just gotta plan ahead grab them with everything you got!

Was messing around with some stone, the big one was 10" at its thickest, might have weighed 500+ pounds.

Took about 2 hours to widdle this down, between taking a coffee break and all :)

I cut this into 2 pieces. It was just big enough on the base, another 1 or 2" might have made it even more betterer but it works.

I left the drill marks in, never done that but I think it will look wicked pissah

Ill notch the bluestone hearth so it looks like its sitting on it(its been on order for 8 days), but I dont really like the idea of putting that much weight on a 2" piece of stone.

Ill put up more when I can up load them.

·
mason contractors
487 Posts
The lintel would look nice if liped out 1/2 or 3/4....also alot of time we'd cut the top of the legs at an angle with a cheeK angeld downward on the inside so as to resemble the old ship beam arches which were built to resist side pressure. I learned from asmosis via my brother whom learned all that with Gunther Builders from Trumbull CT.. Carl Gunther was one hell of a craftsman....he'd do ship dormers on homes which were half post and beam and half contemporary. Can't tell you hou many hours I spent adzing old northern yellow pine beams reclaimed from factories.
Carl would build wooden gutters draining into wine barrels etc. He used to go to Cape Cod and buy old strap hinges for his drs etc. Always combined alot of masonry into his homes.. some day I'll post some of his stuff. He built a whole little villa in Trumbull along the ultra colonial theme resembling Sturbidge Village.

Looks Good J.B and I know what it's like to struggle alone with granite ....one very cold winter day I was trying to pull a long slab out of a big pile I had . It had a razor sharp bottom whch my fingers were wrapped. I thought I had enough strength but it wouldn't stand up and started to go backwards slicing two fingers nearly to the bone.....I took finger tape and went to work.. I needed the money. It was my lft hand so every time I had to pitch a rock or point off a high spot it killed me....anyhow it numbed up after about noon..but that night the tape was welded to the cut. I had to wet it and nearly pull the skin loose which was all shriveled softened frrom the finger tape. It was worse than the accident.

ps when we do fp which recieve stone we always use const wire. It's easy to bend and one ned not try to meet up with it perfectly in any direction.This is on interior so rust is not an issue. nice trick!

·
Registered
407 Posts
very nice layout of the firebricks. Doable with the rumford, but still takes some thought and planning to get it right.
Dave

·
mason contractors
487 Posts
Jb here's a pic of a gunstock beam doorway my brother did on a used brick addition we did in Trumbull CT some years back.
The interior has a granite 3 piece face I did which I posted here before.
It's a old pic but if you look close you can see [?] that each leg is notched up into the lintel. The oldtimers would make the notch place the beams on and run a hand saw between to get them nice and tight.

I did it to the wood beams in my house and it makes for a nice look. It'd be nice in granite...less the gunstock of course...lol

Attachments

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The owner wanted a more "Stonehenge" look.

This is where it is at today. Ill be washing it wed.

Google apparently thought it would look better like this

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Im debating the one that looks like a bowtie. I dunno, should I clip it at the point or no?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts