Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As many of you might have seen on my website there is a line, not really a slogan,

Thank you for your interest in <company name removed>. Let us help you make your dream home a reality.

Today I clicked a link in Nate's google bar that said Chicago Remodeling. Guess what I saw: LET US HELP YOU MAKE YOUR DREAM
HOME A REALITY!

I'm considering contacting them and rubbing it in their face. They didn't always have that slogan on their website, because I've seen it a few times before.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I sent an anonymnous e-mail to them. Here's a copy...

"The slogan, "LET US HELP YOU MAKE YOUR DREAM HOME A REALITY!" is interesting. I've seen it somewhere before. Oh yeah! On MY website. Very original. Keep up the good work."

--------------------------------------------------

It's funny actually. This isn't the first time I have found stuff ripped from my website. I used to have incoming links from another web site in newjersy, when I wondered why I went to it and the "Webmaster" ripped the data from my services page, and forgot to correct some of the links... so some of the links were still linking to my site :)

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
How do you send an anonymous e-mail?

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well yes it is copywritten if you look at the bottom of any page, it says Copyright blah blah blah... I didn't TM the slogan, because it's not really my slogan, just more of a friendly greeting on the main page of my website. I only called it a slogan above for lack of a better description. My real slogan is "Quality Work Ahead" which is trade marked and I'd be more than happy going to court to enforce that trade mark. In this case it wouldn't be worth my effort to try and enforce anything. I would benefit zero.

This is just highly unethical for a competing company to rip stuff off my site. It says alot for the character of the management at DVD International of Desplaines IL. :)

I sent the anonymnous e-mail via the webform on their website. I just didn't fill in my contact information, but I could have also created a free email address at yahoo or hotmail and done it that way. There are quite a few more advanced methods also, like setting up a server on your computer.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Dude, in all fairness "Let us help you make your dream home a reality", isn't very original or unique, it's actually pretty generic. In terms of the remodelling business, it wouldn't be hard for me to imagine if I set 10 owners of remodelling companies down in a room and had them write down 20 slogans a piece that more than one of them would probably come up with something if not exact then pretty close to "Let us help you make your dream home a reality."

Did they steal it from you? Who knows, maybe they did, but chances are if they did steal it they probably could have stolen it from one of 50 other websites that are using it also.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know it's not original or unique, that's why it's not my real official slogan. I've never seen it put in those exact words before however. I've seen variations, but never in those exact words.

Like you said, did they steal it? Who knows but probably yes. In the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter too much, but I wanted to bring it to the attention of the site owner that I know he's copying me.

·
Commercial construction
627 Posts
Mike Finley said:
Dude, in all fairness "Let us help you make your dream home a reality", isn't very original or unique..
Yeah, two chicks that advertise erotic massages use the slogan "let us make your dream a reality". Maybe you could settle out of court...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey having them steal your links isn't bad hope you didn't tell em about it. Nice of them to direct traffic to you.

I did a google search for "Let us help you make your dream home a reality"
cane up with 3 pages of websites that use it

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
mikesewell said:
Yeah, two chicks that advertise erotic massages use the slogan "let us make your dream a reality". Maybe you could settle out of court...
LOL :cheesygri :cheesygri :cheesygri

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
How about thought provoking twists on old favorites llike "Turning dreams into nightmares" or 'Helping you burn the bridges between reality and your dreams". Catchy, huh? What about "Service and expertise worn thin by the hands of time". :Thumbs:

·
General Contractor
1,035 Posts
I've had my whole forum listing exactly copied, my whole design, some estimating calculators I made, etc..etc.. everybody I've contacted has been pretty humble about it and removed the content and design.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts