Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

81 - 100 of 249 Posts

·
Registered
26,175 Posts
I'm way way up from my original purchase. I pulled out right when the market tanked in 08 or whatever year that was. I lost some but even then I was way up when I sold.
That's how you do it. If it's a good deal, buy it, if it isn't a good deal any more, consider selling it, if it's a bad deal now, why did you hold it:laughing:

Stocks offer an added opportunity - you can sell covered calls.

·
Registered
26,175 Posts
Planting trees is kind of a small sideline possibility. The problem with wood lots is you pay taxes on it, so your choice is to either do it on land that's paying the taxes through some other use (shade trees for rentals, business, etc) or (in Maine) putting the land into tree growth for big tax breaks. Then you have to pay a forester periodically to develop and update a management plan. That costs money. If it's a large piece of land where harvesters and logging trucks are brought in, you have to have a pretty good road, but it still can be a gravel road. More money. If you try to take the land out of tree growth, the taxes you avoided get stuck back on, so now the costs of conversion of use go way up.

There was a pecan farm in Texas going pretty cheap I considered buying - it was just a little too remote for me, but the numbers said I could have made some money, even losing part of the ag exemption. In this case I would have built a house, but pecan lumber isn't highly desirable. The big attraction of pecan farms in Texas is pecan trees only grow where there is lots of water close to the surface.

·
John the Builder
16,993 Posts
Anyone ever think about investing in trees? In all seriousness if you plant 20-30 walnut and cherry trees when you are 25-30, then by the time you are 65 you sell the lumber. No taxes, fees, highs, lows etc. Just a thought.
I like this! :thumbsup:

·
John the Builder
16,993 Posts
I met a guy who bought some acreage and lived in a mobile home for twenty years until he could build the house he wanted.

When he retired the trees were worth about 800 grand.
Genius, seriously.:thumbsup:

Caveat: Just make sure that you get the mineral and surface rights when buying the acreage.

Oh boy, can THAT turn out bad....:sad::sad:

·
Administrator
44,156 Posts
That seems to be only important west of the Mississippi. Mineral rights might have to be attained here on the East side, but surface rights pretty much come with the acreage.

·
John the Builder
16,993 Posts
That seems to be only important west of the Mississippi. Mineral rights might have to be attained here on the East side, but surface rights pretty much come with the acreage.
LOL! Not here in Michigan. Lots of folks here have learned that the hard way.

Surface, mineral/mining, timber are all considered able to be separate titled or optioned resources.

·
Registered
258 Posts
A general collapse of the world economy does not mean we're in a depression before hand. A depression defined is a series of economic circumstances based on growth or restriction, that criteria simply has not been met.
Yes it has. The only reason the stock market is even functioning is because a private bank called the Federal Reserve has done nothing but pump money into it. If they are to stop doing that the house of cards will fall.

As far as the empires go, yes the Romans did see the empire crumbling hence the reason for St. Augustine's greatest work "The City of God" which was written to refute the pagan philosophy that the empire was failing due to a general abandonment of polytheism from the masses.
There is much more readily available information in this day and age to get a real close idea of where we are headed.

Also, after that empire failed, the eastern half absolutely thrived for another 1000 years.

Not quite the Roman empire. Byzantine was basically Greek with some Roman influence. Nothing substantial came from that area compared to the Roman glory days.

The British knew what was happening as it was happening and Churchill made a comment when here in '42 (I think) to discuss the problem of purchasing power with a limited currency to the US.
Churchill was a drunken stooge. Listen to his speeches from the war. I am surprised anyone took anything he said seriously, and before the war he was a big joke to the rest of parliament.

Everyone knows something is happening, no one knows what. People say its fine are as wrong as the people who say the sky is falling. We don't know.
The sky isn't falling but the American Empire is. America is not only financially bankrupt but also morally bankrupt as well. As I said before there is plenty of accessible information to get a good idea of the way things are headed, and its not good.

The complete denial and lack of accepting the US economy is in a very bad way is insanity. People need to step up and face facts. Rather then telling themselves the good old days are coming back soon.

·
Registered
258 Posts
There is still no better place to live in the world. If there is why aren't you there?
This sums it up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMqcLUqYqrs

It will happen but you can't say we're in a depression as much as you can say building on sand with a house of cards.
Now which one sounds the USofA to you?

Recession
Period of general economic decline, defined usually as a contraction in the GDP for six months (two consecutive quarters) or longer. Marked by high unemployment, stagnant wages, and fall in retail sales, a recession generally does not last longer than one year and is much milder than a depression. Although recessions are considered a normal part of a capitalist economy, there is no unanimity of economists on its causes.
Depression

A state of the economy resulting from an extended period of negative economic activity as measured by GDP. It is often described as a more severe form of a recession that leads to extended unemployment, a spike in credit defaults, broad declines in income and production, currency devaluation and a deflationary economy.
Manipulation of words to make Joe Schmo feel better about the current economic situation? Looks like it!

·
John the Builder
16,993 Posts

Hey, that's Jeff Daniels - his family owns a lumber store right where he grew up, not too far from me in Chelsea. Great place to do business.

And, that's a movie he's in right?

A movie? As in ---> M O V I E

I have a buddy of mine - has exact same problem as you. He watches so much boob tube - addicted actually - that for him - the movie IS the reality.

I've offered him a free TFH and/or Lithium. He's checking with TV Guide to see if its OK first.

:no::no:
:laughing::laughing:

·
GC/carpenter
40,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #93 (Edited)
Millworker said:
This sums it up. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMqcLUqYqrs Now which one sounds the USofA to you? Recession Depression Manipulation of words to make Joe Schmo feel better about the current economic situation? Looks like it!

You never answered my question. I'm not letting you go without answering it. If you don't answer it I will assume you can't or don't want to expose yourself as wanting to live here.

Why are you still here? It's a simple question

·
GC/carpenter
40,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
Millworker said:
This sums it up. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMqcLUqYqrs Now which one sounds the USofA to you? Recession Depression Manipulation of words to make Joe Schmo feel better about the current economic situation? Looks like it!
We haven't had two consecutive quarters of negative growth, we have had growth. It's been a small amount of growth but never the less it's been growth. Doesn't meet the definition of a recession, let alone a depression.

·
Registered
258 Posts
We haven't had two consecutive quarters of negative growth, we have had growth. It's been a small amount of growth but never the less it's been growth. Doesn't meet the definition of a recession, let alone a depression.
Whatever makes you sleep at night. If it feels better to tell yourself that everything is going great so be it. Just how did this small growth come about? Massive stimulus spending?, artificially low interest rates? With hyperinflation and sky-rocketing debt? Unhealthy economic's if you ask me.

However,

Tell that to the millions of unemployed people reliant on government assistance. Or people that aren't even counted on census because they have given up looking for work. How many times has the government passed emergency unemployment insurance for people that have ran out? How many people have zero job security and are constantly stressed they are going to be on the chopping block next? It is a depression for millions no matter how you slice it. I bet there is even contractors on here who are feeling the pinch big time.

You never answered my question. I'm not letting you go without answering it. If you don't answer it I will assume you can't or don't want to expose yourself as wanting to live here.

Why are you still here? It's a simple question
I didn't answer it because I have my location in my profile.

And, that's a movie he's in right?

A movie? As in ---> M O V I E

I have a buddy of mine - has exact same problem as you. He watches so much boob tube - addicted actually - that for him - the movie IS the reality.

I've offered him a free TFH and/or Lithium. He's checking with TV Guide to see if its OK first.

:no::no:
:laughing::laughing:
Can you point out one thing from the clip that isn't true? Yeah it may be a movie clip but it holds true. Rather then pointing out the obvious like "its a movie". Why don't you post a counter argument against it?

·
John the Builder
16,993 Posts

·
Registered
26,175 Posts
This is correct. The technical definitions are typically met after the fact when downward revisions occur.

ECRI has an interesting discussion of the jobs reports. There are two figures - the household ones which get ignored, and the employer one that everyone pays attention to. In general, after final revisions (which can be years later), the two track each other. Right now they aren't tracking each other so the guess is the employer jobs numbers are going to get revised at some later date into the crapper, where the household numbers are.

·
GC/carpenter
40,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
Whatever makes you sleep at night. If it feels better to tell yourself that everything is going great so be it. Just how did this small growth come about? Massive stimulus spending?, artificially low interest rates? With hyperinflation and sky-rocketing debt? Unhealthy economic's if you ask me.

However,

Tell that to the millions of unemployed people reliant on government assistance. Or people that aren't even counted on census because they have given up looking for work. How many times has the government passed emergency unemployment insurance for people that have ran out? How many people have zero job security and are constantly stressed they are going to be on the chopping block next? It is a depression for millions no matter how you slice it. I bet there is even contractors on here who are feeling the pinch big time.

I didn't answer it because I have my location in my profile.

Can you point out one thing from the clip that isn't true? Yeah it may be a movie clip but it holds true. Rather then pointing out the obvious like "its a movie". Why don't you post a counter argument against it?
Where did you get that I said everything is going great? You need to learn reading comprehension. You keep saying there's a depression I'm saying your wrong, by definition.

·
Registered
258 Posts
That is what I thought :)

You keep saying there's a depression I'm saying your wrong, by definition.
So only by definition I am wrong? But in reality I am right?

Where did you get that I said everything is going great?
You and Deckhead seem to want to downplay the current economic situation. More so him then yourself. Perhaps I should have been more specific.

·
GC/carpenter
40,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
No, you can't change a definition to make yourself right. The economy doesn't meet the definition of a recession let alone a depression. You can't be more wrong.

81 - 100 of 249 Posts