Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
48,761 Posts
That explains it. I am in north central and never do work that far south.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
48,761 Posts
Are you hitting on me??:blink:

:laughing:

·
Registered
738 Posts
none around here either.
we've only got 1 lumber yard now if you dont count Lowes/HD which I dont.
the family owned shop here closed last week. It was the only yard to get out of the ordinary moulding and such.
they would make whatever you needed if they didnt have it in stock.

I called the remaining lumberyard today to see if they had anykind of oak moulding.
nope, its special order

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
I have 3 lumber yards within 7 miles of me and the nearest blowes is 20. Nearest depot if almost 50. I kinda like it that way.

I get my hardwoods from a local supplier that deals in nothing but hardwoods. I can get any of it done to almost any profile within a couple of days. If I am in a hurry he will pull rough cut for me and I can plane it myself. Prices are very competative and Bill is anal particular about the mouldings coming out of his shop.

http://www.newoods.com/

·
Banned
669 Posts
I had an account with them, they bought out a local mom and pop lumber and door supplier, then was bought out by Wosley and things went to Ship ... We have everything out here, Mom & Pops that been around 100 years and a Depot or Lowes every few miles.

Still, you would think all that competition would make things cheaper... it doesn't.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Stock has a fairly large presence in Texas...at least the largest cities. They went through a phase were they bought out all the small lumber yards around these parts. Sounds like their growth through acquisition strategy backfired on them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts