Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone here has experienced a change in customer attitudes since the recession. I worked for 14 years without nary a complaint about my prices, as I'm very affordable (single male, no kids, no house payment). And then I get two in a row. None of these people I have worked for has experienced any hardship due to the recession.

I 've also noticed that people are doing things in stages and taking on some of the work themselves, even when it's only saving them 50 bucks.

I've kept busy, but I've had to do advertising, something I've never done much before.

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Definately, people are buying into the recession even if it is not affecting them, i have noticed a more conservative attitude in general. Pockets are tighter. G

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
It's the mind set. People are now being educated to save, and cut-back. All people, on all financial levels, are being edcucated that way = now.

Regardless of whether they have been "visually" affected or not. Keep in mind, that things are not always what they "appear" to be.
Also, realize that even the previously wealthy, have been impacted, and have experienced a "hit" to their wealth, ability to acquire bank loans, and the value of their overall equity.

People, are now prone to be "deal hunters", and "discount hunters".

Realize, that even before the recession, that there were people doing this. "Getting a Deal", or "Getting a Discount", is a relative point. It is subject to interpretation.

A "good deal" to one person, may not be a "good deal" to another. That is where you have to be creative. What you offer, what your specialty is, what makes you different.

Examples (suggestions) of what I do, that have reaped good results:

If I give a discount (for whatever reason), I list it in writing on the initial proposal. Example: Home Owner agrees to Remove debris - Discount: $500.00. Home Owner agrees to perform painting - Discount: $1200.00, etc ,etc...

Final Invoice: Discount for performing work; We recently re-built a deck, the HO asked for, and agreed to a price to replace one of the slider's, at the deck location. I gave them a discount of $200.00 (off my normal slider replacement), because we were already there, and set up working.

When people "see" the discount, it carries weight to it. Remember that.

Simply telling them that they are getting a discount, does not carry the same weight.

If people are hunting for discounts, and deals = give them that, in such a way, that they can see it. That doesn't mean that you have to lower all your prices. It can also mean that you "highlight" the money that they are saving, by using your business, over others.

·
DavidC
2,550 Posts
Ditto what Gene said. We are having to sell more to get smaller jobs.

Best bet is to remember these times as you move forward. I guarantee 2 things, the recession will be over at some point and another will be back again after more good times.

Good Luck
Dave

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
I noticed riving by a big mall yesterday, it was packed to the curbs...so people are out, but are they spending?

It is hard not to buy into the fear.....some of us have been there before....Oklahoma slid into a recession in 1982, and didn't really recover until 2000.......and I am building my new home right now, and unemployment nationally is probably a realist 12%....Oklahoma is about 7%.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
I've had two clients put off half their projects till the spring.
Both notified me as I just started the project.
Kind of tough when the bid was for all the work,and I will do a package deal for the total.
Then I have to inform them of pending price increases,and the added costs of moving tools and equipment on and off the site.
Most understand,but it's part of the economic climate.

So the worse part of this has been scheduling when materials have to be ordered well in advance of start date.
I find myself getting a lot of smaller projects done to fill in,but there are more down days.

Can't blame the people for being worried,so when trying to sell a"whole package" I'm going to start suggesting it be done in stages when/if their finances will allow .

On the up side,I've been taking on more work that needs to be done pronto,and have solid leads for the coming months.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts