Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

21 - 40 of 163 Posts

·
Design Build
5,533 Posts
I know...I know...

It came free with my 12" SCMS and I am too cheap to get another one. I have my eyes on the Diamond Back or Occidentals but I never seem to pull the trigger.

·
Super Moderator
10,554 Posts
Wallmax:

No wonder you need them suspenders for haulin all that heavy stuff. Vise grips? for framing? 2 tapes? 2 speed squares? Making my back hurt.
At least you saved a few ounces by getting that stilletto!

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
To be perfectly honest the thing I like the most about the Stiletto is that my pants no longer fall off my arse.

·
The Duke
14,746 Posts
dont people look at you funny luggin one of these around?

They don't look at me too long when I stare back with my "I'm gonna drive this deep into your skull" look :laughing:

I get **** all the time. I doesn't bother me in the least bit. 29 oz rig axe. It's made for pounding some serious nails. Set....drive. Give me 29 oz of titanium and I'd probably try it.

Never has made sense to me why everyone thinks Titanium is the cats meow. You still need the same force to put the nail in the board.

F=mA

Can't deny physics.

·
The Duke
14,746 Posts
Since you may never own a Ferrari...at least own the Cadillac of hammers.

Is that a putty knife on the right? What is that?

I also have a nail set and a Klein electricians 8 in 1 screwdriver in my bags. No vice grips though.

·
Super Moderator
10,554 Posts
My setup: 22 oz estwing
speed square
Kobalt tape 25'
irwin chalkline
utility knife
cell phone
6 in 1 screwdriver
pencils, sharpie, nail set

occasionally: small catspaw and a chisel
'
I don't like to lug around a bunch of nails either. I have tried the suspenders but didn't like the "X" tanlines they leave in the summer.

·
strat hd
1,695 Posts
My setup

28 0z. vaughn rigging axe
16 oz. stanley (my rigging axe is for nails and wood only to save the waffle).
Various brands of chalklines cause they allways break then I smash them.
Speed square
25' stanley
Utility knife
2 pencils
Sharpie
Chisel
Cell phone
Construction Master on days that I need it.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I get **** all the time. I doesn't bother me in the least bit. 29 oz rig axe. It's made for pounding some serious nails. Set....drive. Give me 29 oz of titanium and I'd probably try it.

Never has made sense to me why everyone thinks Titanium is the cats meow. You still need the same force to put the nail in the board.

F=mA

Can't deny physics.
That's right you cannot deny physics...unfortunatly Force = Mass x Acceleration gives credit both to mass and the speed at which you can swing. Acceleration is measured in terms of velocity squared V^2. I'm not going to go into detail but swing speed is very important.

In pool the hardest breaks are done with a very light jump/break cue because you can get more velocity out of them, much like a hammer on a nail.

Unless you arn't physically capable of swinging a hammer fast and are using the weight of the hammer to drive the nail thats another story.

I think Titanium is better since its so much fun to say and the hard-on expierienced by most men when they read the side of their hammers causes an adrenelin rush allowing them to swing harder. Not to mention there is very little vibrations transfered.

Bottom line is its personal preferance, I'm not the best at swinging a hammer, but with a heavy one me elbow hurts the next day; which is enough to sell me on the light one.

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
I got my first stilleto because I was looking for something different because of the elbow/shoulder pain. I can't swear that the stilleto is what made the difference in the pain factor,but the arm don't bother me like it used to. It took me a while to gut used to that curved handle but now I love it. I have the T-bone 15 oz. now which actually weighs about 22oz. I love it. I still have a rig axe but it stays in the truck mostly.

·
strat hd
1,695 Posts
That's right you cannot deny physics...unfortunatly Force = Mass x Acceleration gives credit both to mass and the speed at which you can swing. Acceleration is measured in terms of velocity squared V^2. I'm not going to go into detail but swing speed is very important.

In pool the hardest breaks are done with a very light jump/break cue because you can get more velocity out of them, much like a hammer on a nail.

Unless you arn't physically capable of swinging a hammer fast and are using the weight of the hammer to drive the nail thats another story.

I think Titanium is better since its so much fun to say and the hard-on expierienced by most men when they read the side of their hammers causes an adrenelin rush allowing them to swing harder. Not to mention there is very little vibrations transfered.

Bottom line is its personal preferance, I'm not the best at swinging a hammer, but with a heavy one me elbow hurts the next day; which is enough to sell me on the light one.
It's in the wrist action. I have posted this before and I will say it again. Steel handled hammers transmit shock to the elbow. They don't absorb the shock like wood. Can't tell you how many guy's with estwings complained to me about tennis elbow. After I suggested a wooden handle they reluctantly complied. Few weeks later no more tennis elbow.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Wallmaxx thats a nice set up, I order me a DEWALT DG5663 6-Pocket Framer's Nail and Tool Bag from Amazon.com for $26.99. I also will be getting the Stiletto REN21MC Steel 21 Milled Face Hammer with a Curved 18" Hickory Handle this summer.

·
Registered
135 Posts
setup-
stiletto 15 oz curve, and 14 ounce wood handle ( personal favourite )
fat max exteme ( not that extreme )
irwin ( garbage ) chalkline
stanley square
pencils & big black marker
3/4" chisel
cats paw 300 task
small adjustable wrench
nailset
full rock carpenter tool pouch ( when it dies ill have a replica done up )

estwing 30 rarely comes out, only for forming....
both stiletto's were gifts, and as little as i like to swing my hammer, i love to swing a stiletto

·
Design Build
5,533 Posts
Is that a putty knife on the right? What is that?

I also have a nail set and a Klein electricians 8 in 1 screwdriver in my bags. No vice grips though.
Hey Duke

I have spent the last 3 days trying to find a link to that red tool. No luck. It had a made in Canada stamp on it...but thats gone. I have seen similar black ones here in the States, but they are all more rigid / less springy. My brother-in-law gave it to me. $10 I think. It is made out of spring steel so it has a little "bendability" to it. I use it as a scraper, pry bar, chisel, tape smoother, or whatever. It's pretty cool.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I have spent the last 3 days trying to find a link to that red tool. No luck. It had a made in Canada stamp on it...but thats gone. I have seen similar black ones here in the States, but they are all more rigid / less springy. My brother-in-law gave it to me. $10 I think. It is made out of spring steel so it has a little "bendability" to it. I use it as a scraper, pry bar, chisel, tape smoother, or whatever. It's pretty cool.
Probably a Johnson Level and Tool, I think they are made in china under the title Fuller Tools now.

http://www.fullertoolusa.com/ft/6specialty.php

If the black one is what you are refering too I bet you dollars to donuts the made in Canada version doesn't exist anymore.

·
topsail's trimcat
5,026 Posts
that scraper bar? richard drywall tool makes em. but most hand tool companys who make bars also have em. $7

·
Registered
6,102 Posts
Swung my estwing for 30yrs, got tennis elbow, switched to a fiberglass Vaughn, cured the tennis elbow, now use a titanium with straight wood handle. What a difference. Only use the estwing for demo work now. You can sometimes find the red flat bars at paint stores. Painters use them for scraping. I have had about eight of these, for some reason they keep dissapearing!

·
strat hd
1,695 Posts
Swung my estwing for 30yrs, got tennis elbow, switched to a fiberglass Vaughn, cured the tennis elbow

Thank you.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
I should know better than to brag on something . I broke my T-bone friday . The bolt that holds the head on broke off flush with the head. Hopefully repairable.
I had to finish the day with the rig axe.

·
JimmyS
224 Posts
bee

That red scraper also looks like a beekeepers hive tool (except for the nail? hole in the red part). Scraper, pry bar, hammer; used for everything.
Jim

21 - 40 of 163 Posts