Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I bunkered down & purchased a stiletto 14oz Titanium wooden handle hammer. Ordered it from amazon with overnight shipping so I could use it today for a big addition project.

Starting & driving nails like a champ. Took down a temp wall, clearing nails just straight back & the handle snapped right at the head! Ugh, so disappointed! Bought a brand new stiletto & now I can't use it.

All the money & quality into the titanium head & they went cheap on the handle.

Does anyone suggest a better quality handle?

I've contacted them & they better make this right because I paid to get it overnight & now I have to pay to get it fixed to use it until then.

I'll post pictures after work.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I usually buy a few handles at a time, although I don't use it to pry on much anymore so i haven't had to replace one in a while

They're about $8 for a new handle

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Well, I bunkered down & purchased a stiletto 14oz Titanium wooden handle hammer. Ordered it from amazon with overnight shipping so I could use it today for a big addition project.

Starting & driving nails like a champ. Took down a temp wall, clearing nails just straight back & the handle snapped right at the head! Ugh, so disappointed! Bought a brand new stiletto & now I can't use it.

All the money & quality into the titanium head & they went cheap on the handle.

Does anyone suggest a better quality handle?

I've contacted them & they better make this right because I paid to get it overnight & now I have to pay to get it fixed to use it until then.

I'll post pictures after work.
They won't I went through the same thing I broke 3 handles and then asked them if I could return it for a refund and buy a tibone. They said no but if I wanted to pay to ship it to California they would put a fiberglass handle...or I could buy new wood handles for 18 bucks a pop.

After a couple phone calls and emails they ended up sending me a free shirt...all I wanted was a handle or a refund...

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Amazing..... 120 buck for a hammer with chit for a wood handle...

Guess I got lucky.... I had a customer who gave me a present of a brand new 14er.... with the FG handle. I love it and have had no problem with the FG..... and had I been the one buying it, I would have ordered wood.... just lucky sometimes...

I love it so much though, if I do have any heavy demo, I go get my old 22 Eastwing... to protect my Stiletto...

Do kinda wish I had the Tbone though....

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Try Vaughan and Bushnell handles and shape the eye to fit. Ive never clean snapped one in my 32oz just come loose with our weather over time.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys!

I'm going shopping for a new handle. My co-worker that has framed for over 25 years has a 20 year old framer & hasn't replaced the handle on it.

I use it to pull 5-10 nails & snap. I wasn't even prying side to side. Couldn't believe it.

Everyone gave me **** all day too. I couldn't help but laugh because everyone spoke so highly of it.

Crappy wood handle from stiletto. They're going to hear about it for sure. :/

·
topsail's trimcat
5,026 Posts
dont pull nails with a wood handle hammer plane and simple if your going to use the hammer to pull nails you have to side pull.. titanium or not. .doesnt matter.. use a nail puller. ive had the same hammer for 6 years ive broke 2 handles.. 1 was from pulling nails the other when i was hitting strikers in 70 year old concrete

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Thanks guys!

I'm going shopping for a new handle. My co-worker that has framed for over 25 years has a 20 year old framer & hasn't replaced the handle on it.

I use it to pull 5-10 nails & snap. I wasn't even prying side to side. Couldn't believe it.

Everyone gave me **** all day too. I couldn't help but laugh because everyone spoke so highly of it.

Crappy wood handle from stiletto. They're going to hear about it for sure. :/
You will probably just get a shirt like me...the curved handle seems stronger but the weakness is right where the head connects to the shaft.

·
Box Builder
6,320 Posts
Yeah. No pulling nails with wood handle. Side pulling and walk the nail out is ok. Otherwise use a bar or cats paw. I broke the handle on my stiletto right off the bat too. 2nd handle someone else broke. Now I don't lend it out. 3rd handle is going strong and has been for 6+ years.

·
topsail's trimcat
5,026 Posts
should have read the warrenty.. its clearly printed

Reactions: Tom Struble

·
Registered
541 Posts
I have pulled thousands of nails with my old wood handle Vaughan, but I've seen enough broken Stiletto handles to know better. When I finally get around to buying a titanium hammer, I'm going to stay away from Stiletto for just that reason. They seem too narrow right where they mate up to the head.

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
Husky or Craftsman...life time warranty on the whole thing. No fuss. Heck you can buy a hammer and a saw, cut the handle off in front of the service desk and they will give you a new hammer.
:laughing: That would make for some good video entertainment.

Anytime I know I will be pulling more than one or two nails I will bring my Estwing. I always a cat's claw with a ladies foot at the opposite end so I will back the nail out a touch with that then finish pulling with the Estwing.

You would think a hammer with that price tag would step up the handle. Bummer....

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Amazon customer service comes through!

New hammer will be here tomorrow. Sent out the broken one today. Forget stiletto customer service.

I'll use my cats paw from now on or upgrade the handle to something of better quality.

Thank you all!

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
I have te stiletto with titanium handle love it been using it for 5 years now

1 - 20 of 68 Posts