Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're taking a turn of the century craftsman/ victorian, popping the top and going up a story with a 10/12 roof and 4/12 shed dormers. All soffits are exposed. To get the craftsman look with engineered lumber we are sistering 2x6 tails onto the TJI rafters. Despite the architects plans, we are not using a ladder block to achieve the gable overhang but relying on our korbels to hold the barge and tying the 2x6 t&g back to the first rafter to cantilever. We held the 2x6 tails at the bottom of the top rail of the TJI and are using the 2x6 t&g to fir up the tails to flush with the top of the TJI then sheeting over that. First time I've ever stick framed a roof with engineered lumber. What a pain in the ass. Constantly packing out the web to achieve sheer on outlookers, and attach pitch adjusted hangars. I spent a day as cut man and every rafter took about 20 minutes per.

not sure if these pics translate.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
can't see the pics, but why use TJIs for a 10\12 roof? is the span too big for 2x12s? sounds like another ******* architect going overkill

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's exactly right. Every once in a while we look at the plans to see what fiction they hold. Mostly we're just designing every complicated detail as we go. I don't know why they get paid.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts