Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
A few more pics. All the steps are don and we're about 1/2 done with the terrace. I was WAY under in my estimating how much stone we could lay in a day. We should be out of there. The owner is screaming and I'm working 6 1/2 days a week catching up. They do love though and the checks are still pretty much on time.

75' of wall and only 10' are straight.
You can start to get a feel for the terrace. Gas fire pit in the center of the radius.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Karl, it looks amazing! Does the added time also equal higher invoice?

If not, then the HO has no reason to complain.

·
Custom Stone
31 Posts
Looks killer! How are you planning on capping it? I ask because I'm building a curved wall that I'm going to be capping with dimensional blue stone and I'm not sure how I'm going to cut the caps to keep the radius nice and smooth. I'm probably just over thinking it, but, any suggestions?

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
As far as price I gave them some numbers. It was more than they wanted to spend so I told them I would do it T&M and they could probably save a little. I think we will still come out under, but close.
The cap will be 1 1/2" bluestone. I'll make masonite templates and my local fab shop will do it. I could do it at my shop, but the other guys are set up and could do it more efficiently.

·
Registered
677 Posts
That looks awesome man, I guess the mix would have to be pretty stiff to support the stones when laying them.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Yeah, kep it stiff. 3 to 1 with concrete sand. The strength between concrete sand and mason sand is quite noticeable.
Had to chip a little out. In less than 24 hours I ws using my 4 lb. Hammer and a chisel.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Geez, It would be hard to price a job like that based on $$ per sq' T+M all the way.
Which is why the HO is so excited. But, it is what it is: meaning if you want that look, you gotta dig deep down in the pocket....past the lint.

21 - 40 of 65 Posts