Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a customer who wants me to quote her on a new roof here in Iowa. The roof is aroung 20 square with two valleys and each part of it has a different amount of shingles on it ranging from one layer asphalt to 3 layers asphalt to 2 layers asphalt with one layer wood shake. Normally you would tear it all off and put on new shingles and sheathing as needed. But she wants me to quote her on doing steel too. Would you guys do steel right over the roof as it is or do a complete tearoff and then steel?Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Complete Tear off

A) You are putting on a roof that is going to last forever (if you install it right) So why leave all the crap underneath

B) all the imperfections and lumps can and will show through even if you strap it

C) Weight

D) in many areas codes do not allow you to have more than two layers or roofing regardless of the material

·
Working
4,127 Posts
Complete Tear off

D) in many areas codes do not allow you to have more than two layers or roofing regardless of the material
Yes most of eastern IA where I am allow 2 layers no more. Linn, Jones, Cedar Benton are the counties I work in most and all have this.

Have you done standing seam before? If not you might want to sub it out.

·
President
292 Posts
Complete Tear off

A) You are putting on a roof that is going to last forever (if you install it right) So why leave all the crap underneath

B) all the imperfections and lumps can and will show through even if you strap it

C) Weight

What Pat said. It's the only way to go.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
We've only installed 3 steel roofs, of that 1 was'nt brand new construct but i told the HO's i wanted to tear it off/down to original sheeting so we had a perfectly flat substrate to work with, and i showed them their vinyl siding somebody installed over the old masonite and fanfold and how wavey it was, and just told them that's what they could expect with a lay over unless ALOT of time was invloved stringing and shimming batton boards to ensure they are perfectly true, and in reality, that'll blow your budget right out of the water...so tear off is faster/cheaper and ultimately the only way to do it right the first time so you can be proud of your work when you leave.

Have you guys used the snap lock steel? how's that to work with? All the steel roof to date HO's wanted standard steel pole barn steel/raised panel since the snap lock was twice the price though personally i think looks alot better. and if you've installed the snap lock steel, how's that compared to standing seam?

·
Working
4,127 Posts
I have never used snap lock but have used standing seam. I don't see a huge advantage to the extra cost of the snap lock over standing seam. Standing seam I used was 16" wide I think it was easier than the barn style exposed fastner.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Definently tear off if theres shakes, If you screw thru a shinge and it later splits you have loose fasterners standing seem it may not be much of a factor but on exposed fasteners it will be

metal is 1/6th the weight per sq as 30 yr 3 tabs if memory serves me

On the roofs I overlay I have gotten to where I strap them. The last one I stapled radient foil barrier on the old shingles then strapped it. I can tell the temp difference in their attic more then the ones I didnt use barrier on. I think it was .12 a sq ft It's sure alot easier that way then stapling under the raftors....all you need is 3/4 air space

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
one of the ways that they advertise metal roofing being ''green'' is its light weight and ability
to be installed over some existing roofing,saving landfill space

im with Patrick,i like to start with a clean deck when possible

·
Registered
595 Posts
On top of everything that has been said, you will never accomplish any type of wind uplift rating fastening through comps into shakes. One good thunderstorm and the roof will peel off like a tin can. This is the type of situation where you tell your client that your not going to do the job unless you can do it right. It's not worth it too you to get the award and perform a scope of work that you know will fail. You might also add that if they go all the way to the deck and do it right, it will be the last time. If they overlay, I can see them doing this roof at least once more and possibly twice as it just won't hold up.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I only quoted the lady on a complete tearoff and she is mad about it but I think I did the right thing. Im busy enough and not hurting for work anyway. If I do a layover on that roof I think it will bug me as long as that house is still standing. I told her that it don't hurt my feelings if she has someone else do it. I hate turning down work but don't want to sacrifice quality.

·
Registered
255 Posts
will try to be helpful, these guys are right. i think you'll sleep better not having to sacrifice quality. remember, tho, Ho just have what they have to spend... so don't be frustrated with them, all you can do is give your best your best price. It doesnt make sense to add to a jumbled mess of layers any how. Even if you t/o the wood and redeck, there's still gonna be some humps and bumps... Hard to make a metal roof look perfect thta's on old construction. Some one will do the job...But they might get shingles installed any how. The metal usually adds up to be a little more than shingles these days, but seems the margin is growing closer and closer to a tie in cost. Sure like metal compared to shingles tho myself.

good luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts