Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up the permit for a +600 sq ft first floor deck and balcony.

It consists of 31 helical piers, 26 for the deck and balcony and 5 for Phase two, the screened in porch and second balcony. First floor deck with be Paverdeck and the balcony will be traditional steel framing with unknown finished decking at this point.

We are doing the footings, door, and framing. Finished surfaces are being completed by others

The rendering was supplied by the HO and not done by me. the drawings are all pre-architect and engineer.

·
GC/carpenter
40,495 Posts
Dan, nothing against you or your ability to frame it correctly, but I'd be a little apprehensive to deck on someone else's framing. Even when I do a re skin I practically re frame the whole thing, quite often.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Nice project!
Is that first pic with the measurements from the software of your new GLM 100 C?

I've asked the helical installers here about accuracy of the location when dealing with posts to hold up a roof and they didn't seem to bet terribly confident. Saddles for deck beams don't really need to be very precise, but saddles for posts do, especially when dealing with timber frame structures built off site. How do you adjust the saddles when there's a stone in the way? Do you weld the saddles on after the fact... or?

That gable intersection at the chimney looks challenging.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dan, nothing against you or your ability to frame it correctly, but I'd be a little apprehensive to deck on someone else's framing. Even when I do a re skin I practically re frame the whole thing, quite often.
It's a Paverdeck, so the 'decking' is hardscaping. Probably going to be 1 1/4" travertine. It will be just like any other installation for the hardscaper, screen, sand, pavers.

Second floor will probably end up being fiberglassed, so again, just like any other installation for the guys doing it.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice project!
Is that first pic with the measurements from the software of your new GLM 100 C? No, it is using My Measures. This was before the GLM 100 C

I've asked the helical installers here about accuracy of the location when dealing with posts to hold up a roof and they didn't seem to bet terribly confident. Saddles for deck beams don't really need to be very precise, but saddles for posts do, especially when dealing with timber frame structures built off site. How do you adjust the saddles when there's a stone in the way? Do you weld the saddles on after the fact... or? We have been dead on, no major issues. But the design sometimes has to be modified, or the rock needs to be dug out, or a root cut. The saddles are welded after the post is installed. We have a few versions, some of which have more adjustment than others.

That gable intersection at the chimney looks challenging.
Challenging and fun.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
the ho's plans are general design layout. You can't what they or anybody give (plans) as being accurate...ever.
They never are and if there I find them to be so frigging details it makes my head hurt....and always wind up re-working. I actually decline most prospective jobs when they send plans if they disagree with what actually needs to be.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Starting installing piers today. Every single post location had an obstruction, gutter leaders, plumbing and electrical for the pool, and the well line. We had good locations for everything but the well....We found it. Little patch and then dig out the rest of the line.

Few more to go :laughing:

1 - 20 of 52 Posts